Thread: Life on the Pier

Real Name
    Jack

Life on the Pier

Got up early and decided to take a walk along the boardwalk. I took my Sony and figured I would try out different metering modes, for some reason I'm never really spot-on with exposures.
    Please feel free to CC
    Cheers!

Life on the Pier_A743293 by jk Sullivan, on Flickr
    Life on the Pier_A743316 by jk Sullivan, on Flickr

Re: Life on the Pier

Shooting towards the sun is never easy so well done for trying these scenes and the second image looks good to me as it is now.

But I have a few thoughts about the first one. Ideally, I would have preferred it to have been a few minutes earlier with none of the sun showing. However, I suspect that making the sun move backwards might be beyond your capabilities.

I would crop out the large wave at the bottom because it is overly dominant although not adding anything to the scene.

Then, if you want to keep the same size ratio it will mean a crop from left or right. Which is most important, the pier or the sky? If you crop the right side it will mean totally removing that hut.

Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Shooting towards the sun is never easy so well done for trying these scenes and the second image looks good to me as it is now.

But I have a few thoughts about the first one. Ideally, I would have preferred it to have been a few minutes earlier with none of the sun showing. However, I suspect that making the sun move backwards might be beyond your capabilities.

I would crop out the large wave at the bottom because it is overly dominant although not adding anything to the scene.

Then, if you want to keep the same size ratio it will mean a crop from left or right. Which is most important, the pier or the sky? If you crop the right side it will mean totally removing that hut.
    I actually took several images. This one was exactly 1 min < before the sun arose.
    Let me know your thoughts.
    Life on the Pier_A743288 by jk Sullivan, on Flickr

To my way of thinking, that is the best one. A good clean and uncomplicated scene.

Real Name
    Bill

+1 to what Geoff says about the third shot (and your success in shooting into the light), but it's a close call with the full sun version (....316) becasue of the interest added by the figures on the jetty (the title is "Life on the Pier").
    Last edited by billtils; 24th March 2022 at 07:58 AM.

Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    +1 to what Geoff says about the third shot (and your success in shooting into the light), but it's a close call with the full sun version (....316) becasue of the interest added by the figures on the jetty (the title is "Life on the Pier").
    Thank you for the CC!
    On this side of the pond it's always been known as a pier, we also have jetty's and wharf's as well. Cheers!

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jkshyt View Post
    Thank you for the CC!
    On this side of the pond it's always been known as a pier, we also have jetty's and wharf's as well. Cheers!
    Jack - having lived and worked in Florida for 12 years I consider myself bilingual and was using "jetty" and "Pier" as being the same thing but really should have just stuck to 'Pier".

Cheers

Real Name
    Dan

Certainly off track, but on this side of the pond, we have at least 4 different words that are used differently. Here's how I use them:

Jetty: usually rock or some other solid material, often used to protect a harbor from waves

Wharf: a large structure where ships and larger boats dock

Dock: a smaller structure where small boats, e.eg, personal motorboats, dock

Pier: a structure like the one in the photo: typically long and narrow, sometimes used also for docking boats but sometimes just for pedestrians

Back on topic: all of these have their pros and cons, but I agree that the dark waves in the first are a bit distracting, leading the eye away from the pier and horizon.