Thread: Morning fog

Real Name
    Dubravka

Morning fog

C&C welcome
    Morning fogMorning fog by Dubravka Bacic, on Flickr

Re: Morning fog

I usually find that foggy scenes require some sort of 'reference area' to show that it really is fog and not an out of focus under exposed image. With that tree you have an excellent reference point.

But I wonder if you could get away with a fraction more highlight brightness to increase the contrast? Only a slight increase and be careful of the sky.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I usually find that foggy scenes require some sort of 'reference area' to show that it really is fog and not an out of focus under exposed image. With that tree you have an excellent reference point.

But I wonder if you could get away with a fraction more highlight brightness to increase the contrast? Only a slight increase and be careful of the sky.
    Tried that out of interest, Geoff, didn't seem to work in the GIMP. No idea why, sorry. Wasn't able to increase the highlight brightness enough to significantly alter "the contrast".

In other words, following the suggestion, the standard deviation** only went from 37 to 41 out of 255.

** in the histogram of a selection, the standard deviation indicates the degree of contrast in that selection.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 4th April 2022 at 02:07 PM. Reason: in other words ...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Dubravka,

I am inclined to agree with Geoff - and note that on a histogram, the white point is around 228 (of 255) and black around 2-3.

If I had been personally editing this, I'd have given a one degree clockwise rotation.

In both cases however, you were there and may feel that the exposure as posted better conveys the feeling of the weather at the time, which is valid.

I like the composition,
    Dave

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Tried that out of interest, Geoff, didn't seem to work in the GIMP. No idea why, sorry. Wasn't able to increase the highlight brightness enough to significantly alter "the contrast".
    Example:

Morning fog

Real Name
    Dubravka

Perhaps like this? I think it looks a bit better.
    I'm generally trying to do very little changes to my images and that morning was really pale, fog was like a smoke rolling around. Many thanks to all for good suggestions and comments.

Morning fogMorning fog-2 by Dubravka Bacic, on Flickr

That last image has more detail but without losing the 'fogginess'

Real Name
    Ted

Yes, looks better. Now there is an impression of more depth than before in the background trees allowing us to see the strength of the fog.