Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Colour Management Problem with Firefox

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Colour Management Problem with Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post

For now and stating the obvious I am thinking that the difference between ours and Peter's lies in what some app or driver is doing in the pipeline going from image data via the image file profile PCS to our monitors via the monitor profile PCS.

I'd bet on the monitor driver but can't prove it today.
    Or perhaps because you are not using a wide gamut monitor?

He is posting three different colours in three different colour spaces, in three different images in the reds; greens; and blues, only one of which your monitor is capable of displaying..... the ones in sRGB
    Last edited by pschlute; 8th April 2022 at 06:51 PM.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Originally Posted by xpatUSA Colour Management Problem with Firefox

For now and stating the obvious I am thinking that the difference between ours and Peter's lies in what some app or driver is doing in the pipeline going from image data via the image file profile PCS to our monitors via the monitor profile PCS.
    Or perhaps because you are not using a wide gamut monitor?
    Perhaps. I do find it curious that your monitor shows different reds between the Adobe file and the Prophoto file, if your monitor is 100% Adobe RGB (1998).

He is posting three different colours in three different colour spaces, in three different images in the reds; greens; and blues ...
    I know what he posted; I have them on my hard drive. Each image has three areas, each area with one channel set to 255 and the other two channels set to 0 - and each file has a different embedded profile.

... only one of which your monitor is capable of displaying [correctly] ..... the [one] in sRGB.
    Still thinking that the driver is doing the clipping on my machine.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 8th April 2022 at 10:02 PM.

Real Name
    André

Ted,

The three files that I posted in post # 53 all look the same on your monitor because the gamut of your monitor is too small to display the Adobe RGB and the Prophoto RGB. Either the colour management on your browser is working and showing you the closest colour that your monitor can do OR it is not working and you are seeing the primaries of your monitor's gamut in all three cases because the numbers are the same in the three files.

The three file have the same data because they were created that way. The profiles is where the translation between image data and real world colour occurs. The data is the same but the individual profiles interprets them differently. Take a close look at the description of how colour management works that I posted #53.

Now that I have installed a new browser, I can confirm that all three files look different on my wide gamut monitor but they look the same on my sRGB laptop; which is as it should be.

HTH
    Last edited by Round Tuit; 8th April 2022 at 09:03 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Now that I have installed a new browser, I can confirm that all three files look different on my wide gamut monitor but they look the same on my sRGB laptop; which is as it should be.
    Exactly what I found also comparing my wide-gamut and sRGB monitors.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    Ted,

The three files that I posted in post # 53 all look the same on your monitor because the gamut of your monitor is too small to display the Adobe RGB and the Prophoto RGB. Either the colour management on your browser is working and showing you the closest colour that your monitor can do OR it is not working and you are seeing the primaries of your monitor's gamut in all three cases because the numbers are the same in the three files.

The three file have the same data because they were created that way. The profiles is where the translation between image data and real world colour occurs. The data is the same but the individual profiles interprets them differently. Take a close look at the description of how colour management works that I posted #53.
    Yes, I was already aware of color management theory.

Of course, I agree that red will look the same red on an sRGB monitor for each of your files.

Assuming for the sake of discussion that your wide-gamut monitor is 100% Adobe RGB (1998) , what I still don't understand is why Adobe vs. ProtoPhoto files should and apparently do look different in the reds.

Now that I have installed a new browser, I can confirm that all three files look different on my wide gamut monitor but they look the same on my sRGB laptop; which is as it should be. HTH

Real Name
    Ted

Assuming for the sake of discussion that your wide-gamut monitor is 100% Adobe RGB (1998) , what I still don't understand is why Adobe vs. ProtoPhoto files should and apparently do look different in the reds.
    Further to that, I see that both profiles are type 'mntr' and that both are set to 'relative colorimetric' rendering intent. This reinforces my opinion that the Adobe and ProPhoto tagged files should not look different on an Adobe RGB (1998) "wide gamut" monitor.

Real Name
    André

Further to that, I see that both profiles are type 'mntr' and that both are set to 'relative colorimetric' rendering intent. This reinforces my opinion that the Adobe and ProPhoto tagged files should not look different on an Adobe RGB (1998) "wide gamut" monitor.
    You are right that they would look the same on a Adobe monitor. Mine however is 120% of Adobe and that is sufficient for me to see the difference.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    Originally Posted by xpatUSA Colour Management Problem with Firefox Further to that, I see that both profiles are type 'mntr' and that both are set to 'relative colorimetric' rendering intent. This reinforces my opinion that the Adobe and ProPhoto tagged files should not look different on an Adobe RGB (1998) "wide gamut" monitor.
    You are right that they would look the same on a Adobe monitor. Mine however is 120% of Adobe and that is sufficient for me to see the difference.
    Excellent! Now it is clear.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234