Thread: Guardian Dog

Real Name
    Richard

Guardian Dog

Serena, my 17 month old Great Pyrenees not only ensures that our small dogs are secure from predators but, she is the guardian of our chickens also.

Guardian Dog

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Guardian Dog

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Serena, my 17 month old Great Pyrenees not only ensures that our small dogs are secure from predators but, she is the guardian of our chickens also.

Guardian Dog
    Very nice Richard. The chicken must be well-trained too I'd be concerned about a big peck on the nose (our labs would want to hunt/field the chicken).

Nice shot of a beautiful relationship.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Guardian Dog

Our hens are quite calm and friendly. Judy gives them a lot of personal, hands-on care. The Wellsummer variety is exceptionally friendly. However, we are very careful regarding anyone who interacts with Serena. She is too nice and gentle and, we don't want her demeanor altered by any aggressive behavior from another animal. We recently re-homed a rooster to a local farm because of his aggressive personality. Why did we have a rooster? Well, he was one of several chicks we purchased, thinking they were all girls.

The Great Pyrenees is very unique - anyone or any animal we introduce her to is her friend but, Mr. Coyote beware!

She is te same with an intruder! While sleeping in our family room. recently, she jumped up and ran to the door to the patio, growling and snarling. It was our gardener who came around after dark to check our yard lights. As soon as I turned the patio light on - Serena recognized him and became quite calm!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 5th April 2022 at 12:22 AM.