Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Chopsticks in Soda Water

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Chopsticks in Soda Water

I'm exploring a new concept and it's not where it needs to be yet.

I put some chopsticks in a rectangular vase and poured in some soda water and this is what I got.

Chopsticks in Soda Water

Real Name
    Bill

Re: Chopsticks in Soda Water

I like this Manfred. You don't say what your intent is so I suppose that gives us free rein to comment ...

Have you tried with just the green, red and black? The image benefits from how these strong colours help define the edge of the bubble against the background (and I'm not too keen on the colour of the background but can't come up with anything obviously better). Also with just the 3 sticks you have more flexibility in the shaping of the composition.

Added for clarification: it's the edges of the bubbles that overlap the sticks, not those that are entirely in front of a stick.
    Last edited by billtils; 5th May 2022 at 01:09 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for the comments Bill. What you wrote is exactly what I was looking for in comments.

I had done a series that I call "Still Life in Motion" where I did some still life images that had swirling food colouring in them. That series was well received at a number of levels and I am looking at how to move on from it a bit and I thought that capturing bubbles in soda water might be another interesting topic.

This was really my first experiment on trying to figure out how to light the scene, assuming that the bubbles might make an interesting addition to a fairly simple image and I think it might. I had thought about different colours of chopsticks, crayons, etc. as being suitable subjects.

I also learned that room temperature soda water might be better than something chilled, as I was constantly having to wipe the front of my glass vase where condensation formed. It did not add to the composition....

Real Name
    raymond

Interesting not sur hat exactly is the subject.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by selig1656 View Post
    Interesting not sur hat exactly is the subject.
    The subject is the 5 chopsticks with bubbles attached to them. The purpose was to see if this concept is worth pursuing and I think it is, but I need to work out a better background and fine tune the lighting first.