Thread: Flicker account

Real Name
    Jean

Flicker account

I refuse to pay to store my photos on my flicker account.
    If I understand their new rules correctly, I will be forced from May 17th to pay or have my account closed.
    What would be another solution to upload photos on the Cambridge in color website, otherwise I would have to regret leaving you?
    Thank you for your answers.
    Jean

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Flicker account

I may be wrong, but I thought that their new policy continues free accounts but doe not allow those with free accounts to post sexually explicit photos (restricted and moderate content) and limits them to 50 non-public photos. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I may be wrong, but I thought that their new policy continues free accounts but doe not allow those with free accounts to post sexually explicit photos (restricted and moderate content) and limits them to 50 non-public photos. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is what I understood from their message.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by bje07 View Post
    If I understand their new rules correctly, I will be forced from May 17th to pay or have my account closed.
    No you do not understand the new rules. Only images containing nudity (restricted and moderate) are not allowed on a free account.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Doesn't worry me. The only nude photographs I could take nowadays are selfies and I would not be brave enough to post them anywhere...

Real Name
    Brian

What would be another solution to upload photos on the Cambridge in color website, otherwise I would have to regret leaving you?
    Jean

I uploaded 2 photos yesterday and got a dialog box that said I have 623 more photos to upload. I have the free account. So, I think that you are limited to a certain number of photos on the free accounts. Don't know what that number is but I think I'll be pretty safe if I still have 623 more to reach the max.

Edit: Looks like the maximum upload is 1000 for the free accounts.

Real Name
    Jean

Flicker is so agressive with their attemps to sell a pro subscription, with their emails ,every day.
    I'll see next time I'll upload a picture on my Flicker site on the forum.

Real Name
    Dan

Flicker is so agressive with their attemps to sell a pro subscription, with their emails ,every day.
    Interesting. I almost never get emails from them, perhaps because I don't use my Flickr account all that often.

Someone has to pay for all of this. There are people managing the site who have to eat, and there are costs from maintaining the site itself. It's nice that they provide a limited free service, but it's hardly surprising that they try to encourage people to pay for a subscription so that they can pay their rent. This is a fairly common approach: provide a money-losing, limited free service in the hopes that enough people will want to upgrade to paid service. For example, it's done by Dropbox.

There are only two alternatives. One is to sell advertisements. The other is to sell users' personal data. Or some combination of both.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I'll see next time I'll upload a picture on my Flicker site on the forum.
    Just un-subscribe from the emails.

Real Name
    Jean

I copy what I just received today: it's not evidnet what to do.
    If you have another way to upload pictures on this forum I'll be happy.
    PS I have no nude pictures, (of course)

Hello,
    Your account is in violation of Flickr's new free account limits and your photos may be deleted. We don't take it lightly to delete photos from our community. To avoid this, please consider the following:
    You have more than 50 non-public photos on your free account.
    To correct this problem:
    - Change your privacy settings to make the excess photos public OR
    - Download the excess non-public photos and delete them from your Flickr account OR
    - Subscribe to Flickr Pro and get a 20% discount. (Or 25% for a two-year subscription).
    Photo deletion will begin on 17 May 2022 for accounts that violate these limits.
    If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our excellent support team.
    -The Flickr team

Your use of Flickr is subject to the Flickr Terms & Conditions of Use and Community Guidelines.
    This is a necessary legal or administrative message to our users; there is no unsubscribe option.
    View in browser
    2022 Flickr, P.O. Box 390123, Mountain View, CA 94039

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

This is the issue:

You have more than 50 non-public photos on your free account.

The free account allows 1,000 photos, with a maximum of 50 non-public photos.

You have 50+ non-public photos, so change the privacy settings on the excess to public, or simply delete them from Flickr

Real Name
    Michal

If it's just to upload images in a forum post then you can use image hosting sites such as imgbb.com or Imgur. These two ate free.