Thread: In the crowd

Real Name
    Ole

In the crowd

I have here two versions I took just recently and cannot make up my mind which one is best. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

In the crowdIn the crowd by Ole Hansen, on Flickr

In the crowdIn the crowd by Ole Hansen, on Flickr

Real Name
    Chas

Re: In the crowd

Nice use of DOF to isolate the subject.

I prefer the square image which has more 'crowd' in it and the bright areas at right tending less to draw the eye. The subject is a bit sharper too. I myself would tone down those bright areas even a bit more in that image.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Neither works for me Ole.

The out of focus head in the bottom one is very distracting and does not work at all, in my view.

I suspect you had the same initial view, which explains the crop on the first image. The bright tent(?) on the right and the bright spot of light on the left are also significant distracting elements.

For me, crop the right side of the first image and go to 5 x 4 ratio, or square. Then tone down any remaining bright areas in the background.

Real Name
    Bo or Barbara - I'll answer to both!

I’m sorry but the guy you’re focusing on, however you crop this, is not so special.
    There’s a beard beneath him and something coming out of his mouth( or someone else’s?)
    And with his headwear , a high neckline and a side on view of his face there’s not a lot to see

Real Name
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by lunarbo View Post
    I’m sorry but the guy you’re focusing on, however you crop this, is not so special.
    There’s a beard beneath him and something coming out of his mouth( or someone else’s?)
    And with his headwear , a high neckline and a side on view of his face there’s not a lot to see
    You are very mistaken. The guy was a head above the crowd and looking very arrogant. His headwear was bright yellow. He very much stood out. My mistake was not to show this properly.

Real Name
    Bo or Barbara - I'll answer to both!

Ah, OK. Sometimes, as with this shot, what you saw does not quite come across.
    And the yellow would have been arresting- but I too probably would have wanted to mono the shot
    Did you manage to get any other shots of him?

Real Name
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by lunarbo View Post
    Ah, OK. Sometimes, as with this shot, what you saw does not quite come across.
    And the yellow would have been arresting- but I too probably would have wanted to mono the shot
    Did you manage to get any other shots of him?
    I did not get any more shots of him which was a shame. I went to the market with the intention to pick individuals in the crowd with my Sony a7r3 and a 24-105mm lens. I had the lens set at f4 all the time and my focus spot set at small. No luck grrrrr.