Thread: Kippford Sundown

Real Name
    John

Not visited for a while.

Not visited for a while. There was a need to upload files from a hosting site which I didn't have. I assumed when I saw the "Upload from Your Computer Option that This might no longer be necessary. However, I can only manage to attach a thumbnail using that. Am I doing something wrong or do I still need to post via a hosting site?
    Last edited by John 2; 27th May 2022 at 10:07 PM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Not visited for a while.

The lack of any direct upload option I think is big factor in the lack of activity on CinC. The mini competitions take weeks to be filled as opposed to a few days when a simple photo posting method was available.

I raised the issue some time ago but was told it was not needed as there are other ways to post photographs. It is rather sad to watch an excellent forum suffer so much. On other sites there has been a decline in activity as FaceBook groups seem to have taken over. However I don't think the decline with other groups has been quite so dramatic.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    The lack of any direct upload option I think is big factor in the lack of activity on CinC. The mini competitions take weeks to be filled as opposed to a few days when a simple photo posting method was available.

I raised the issue some time ago but was told it was not needed as there are other ways to post photographs. It is rather sad to watch an excellent forum suffer so much. On other sites there has been a decline in activity as FaceBook groups seem to have taken over. However I don't think the decline with other groups has been quite so dramatic.
    Yes, I noticed sometime ago that there seems to be a lot less activity here but was mystified about the cause. is it really an issue about posting photos on CIC?

Real Name
    John

I have joined or looked at one or two forums since I was last here. Many, but certainly not al, are very active. One in particular is so active that posted images disappear into the into the background so quickly that comments are quite hard to come by. Those that I have come across also all have a direct upload facility. What most of them don't have is the quality of work hat has always been a feature here. Hence my returning from time to time but I must admit that the reduction in activity was all too obvious when I returned this time. I would be sad if this site failed. Unlike many others, it has always concentrated on pure photography rather than social chit chat.

Real Name
    Philip

Has anyone else tried postimages.org. it's not necessary to sign up to use it. I used it to post my bluebells image - Bluebell woodland

Philip

Real Name
    John

Thanks Philip. I was aware of postimages.org having Googled for similar sites but in reading their terms of use I came across this and I worry about what they might be using my images for - that and the fact that they require you to indemnify and hold them harmless against goodness knows what.

"With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant PostImage a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content, including embedded (hotlinked) into third-party websites otherwise not affiliated with PostImage. To the extent that you delete any such file or content from the public portions of our site, the license you grant to PostImage pursuant to the preceding sentence will automatically terminate, but will not be revoked with respect to any file or content PostImage has already copied and sublicensed or designated for sublicense."

I have always been of the opinion that on the internet you either pay for a product or you become a product. Personally, I prefer to pay a small annual charge to get an advert free service which doesn't sell my details to anybody else.

However, as far as I am aware it is still possible to create a personal album on CinC although with limitations. See here

HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

The problem with having direct uploading is site size and a larger volume has to be paid for, somehow. So that would mean frequent pop up adverts or a membership charge, which we have tried to avoid.

I have previously used sites which give you the option of adverts and personal detail sales or a small charge and that is still an option here if the site became too large. But when we have discussed this situation in the past most members have preferred the current arrangement.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Geoff. I am going to try the thumbnail route with the added stage 2 which I wasn't aware of.
    Last edited by John 2; 31st May 2022 at 06:15 PM.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Geoff. I am going to try the thumbnail route with the added stage 2 which I wasn't aware of.

Kippford Sundown
    Last edited by John 2; 31st May 2022 at 06:16 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

I have just uploaded the following photo to an album and posted it. The method was reasonable simple.

Perhaps it should be promoted a bit more? I know I used it sometime ago as then I assumed everyone would have an album available to show some of their work.

Kippford Sundown

Real Name
    John

And it works. Thanks Jeff. However how do I now get rid of the thumbnail post as opposed to the thumbnail itself? Um, suspect I haven't got it quite right yet.
    Last edited by John 2; 28th May 2022 at 10:00 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

I have just reread the How can I post images here help thread after not having read it for a few years. I see that the Album method of posting is reasonably explained. Maybe there just needs to be some sort of window available when posting a comment that assists in adding images by that method. Also the 700px width limit is a bit restrictive and increasing it to say 1000px or 1200px.

There is a Manage Attachments option when posting a comment so it appears the mechanisms are pretty much in place. Simplifying the user interface maybe all that is needed. The attachment by default only showed up as a thumbnail with no obvious way to show the full image. People do not like to go hunting for instructions when it should be easily done from the user interface.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pnodrog; 29th May 2022 at 10:24 AM.

Real Name
    John

Can you see the above landscape at full size?

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Can you see the above landscape at full size?
    Unfortunately, no (at least when viewing it on my desktop monitor).