Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Net loft

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Net loft

The net loft, used for drying and repairing fishing nets, at the Brittania Shipyards Historic Site in Steveston British Columbia. The area was a thriving fishing settlement at the mouth of the Fraser River for centuries and became the heart of the salmon and herring fishery after colonization in the 1880s. Now preserved as a museum and historic site.
    Net loftSteveston Net Loft16-05-22TREVOR REEVES by Trevor Reeves, on Flickr

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Net loft

Interesting; I had not heard of the place, but the next time I'm in the Vancouver area, I definitely plan to visit.

The shot reminds me a lot of what we saw at at the North Pacific Cannery, Port Edward BC (near Prince Rupert) when we were up there about 11 years ago. Same basic structure and location of the building versus the water. The same weather-beaten look too.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I will post some other shots from the site. The lighting is a bit tenuous, it is on the north side of an arm of the Fraser River so sunlight never illuminates the shaded part of the buildings. I may go back on a cloudy day, of which Vancouver and environs is never short of, to see if diffuse light works.

I was there at low tide. Before I went I was a bit disappointed by that. However high tide just was not going to be a possibility, too early or too late. Once I got there I think it made for better conditions as the pilings were fully exposed. As was the saltwater grass and mudflats. May try for high tide to see how that works.

Even though it is low tide it is still a nice image. The cannery is well worth seeing and is interesting to go through and see the inside.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

We were there just before the buildings were open for the season. Might be interesting to try for some interior images as well.