Thread: Wharf pilings

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Wharf pilings

The remnants of the wharf and dock pilings at Brittania Shipyards Historic site in Steveston British Columbia. Time and weather has resulted in quite substantial decay. Which is a bonus to my mind and preferences.

The pilings are on the north side of the Fraser River, hence sunlight will always leave the sides facing landward in shadow. Decided not to overcome that overly in post (piling?) processing.

Initially I wanted to go out at high tide to isolate the pilings . Was not to be, given the times of high tide. However perhaps the mudflats add rather than detract.

Decided to do colour and monochrome at two different sites.

Wharf pilingsSteveston pilings16-05-22TREVOR REEVES 1 by Trevor Reeves, on Flickr

Wharf pilingsSteveston pilings16-05-22TREVOR REEVES by Trevor Reeves, on Flickr

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Wharf pilings

Aged timber and melted snow - welcome back. I prefer the colour version as it has more detail in the piles.

For the second I like the texture in the mud. If you had some young ladies wrestling in it I would overlook the lack of detail in the piles....

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    For the second I like the texture in the mud. If you had some young ladies wrestling in it I would overlook the lack of detail in the piles....
    On the off chance someone might volunteer, I suspect it may be more a struggle for survival than entertainment. The mud is quite tenacious and semiliquid. And probably several hundred feet deep. I had a friend tell me an acquaintance of his was sea kayaking across the mouth of the Fraser and got stranded on the mud flats revealed as the tide went out. Had to sit out there until the tide came back as the Coast Guard could not, or would not, send anything out to rescue him.

There is a lot to take on board, Trevor. You have put forward in two different ways, which can be a good option. My suggestion is, using the colour version to crop - so that only the right part of the image shows. This means the area to the right of the front post with the nail, but not including that. Have not tried, but think it will work. Will end up as portrait mode.

Real Name
    Bo or Barbara - I'll answer to both!

I prefer the mono version as it is. If I was being picky I might ask for just a little more headroom so we can see clearly you didn't cut off a pillar
    And yes, I agree as much texture as possible in the mud, apart from the "entertainment"!

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    My suggestion is, using the colour version to crop - so that only the right part of the image shows. This means the area to the right of the front post with the nail, but not including that. Have not tried, but think it will work. Will end up as portrait mode.
    I like the suggestion. I will look at that composition. And may incorporate the idea if and when I go back to shoot the area. I used a 70-200 mm, I may use a 2x extender to isolate components more effectively and also change orientation of camera/lens.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by lunarbo View Post
    I prefer the mono version as it is. If I was being picky I might ask for just a little more headroom so we can see clearly you didn't cut off a pillar
    And yes, I agree as much texture as possible in the mud, apart from the "entertainment"!
    I did elect for a very tight crop above the piling. Mainly to simplify. I will revisit it to see if I can give a hair more room.
    The mud was fortuitous and in the end I believe it was a positive over having water around the pilings. However I still want to go back at high tide. I think there will be opportunity for very simple compositions. Perhaps some reflection incorporated.