Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best option on posting images

Real Name
    Tyler

Best option on posting images

Take a look at this image, upped from my D7000 in Large/Fine jpeg to ImgBB hosting. I am not getting the Rez and color rendering that my originals have.
    Click on this image, it enlarges, then the resolution drops to some final value.
    Ideas?

Best option on posting images

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Best option on posting images

Quote Originally Posted by tybrad View Post
    Take a look at this image, upped from my D7000 in Large/Fine jpeg to ImgBB hosting. I am not getting the Rez and color rendering that my originals have.
    Click on this image, it enlarges, then the resolution drops to some final value.
    Ideas?
    I cannot see anything wrong with the resolution. If you click the image it will be displayed at a suitable resolution for the web browser/monitor it is being viewed on. You can then click on "Expand to actual size" if you want to see it at full resolution. When posting to the web it is not generally a good idea to post such large images, because you are then relying on a web browser or someone else's computer to downsize the image for viewing. I usually post with a maximum height of 1440 pixels.

The reason you may be seeing different colours is because you are posting an image in AdobeRGB colour space. You should stick to sRGB for all postings to the web.

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

...Click on this image, it enlarges, then the resolution drops to some final value.
    I clicked the image and waited 30 seconds without seeing the drop in resolution (Firefox on Linux). Expanding to full size works as explained by Peter Schluter. I saved an image copy to disk using the browser's Right Click->Save Image as. The saved image is 3264x4928 px, full size from a D7000.

The saved image is in sRGB, but that may be the result of some Firefox feature.

--
    Odd S.

Real Name
    Dan

I had the same experience as Peter. When you click on the image, it goes into the "lightbox" and is enlarged a modest amount. From there, clicking on the full-size icon (a square with an arrow) brings up the full size image.

As Peter pointed out, the embedded profile is Adobe RGB. That's generally a poor choice for posting on the web. Some browsers are color managed, but some aren't, and most people's monitors can't display more than sRGB. So the best practice IMHO is to post images in sRGB space.

Real Name
    Tyler

Thanks, everyone!

Next Q: How to convert into an sRGB image before posting?
    I use an iMac/OS10.13 and GraphicConverter 11 for my image manipulating.
    Last edited by tybrad; 22nd June 2022 at 12:56 PM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Thanks, everyone!

Next Q: How to convert into an sRGB image before posting?
    I use an iMac/OS10.13 and GraphicConverter 11 for my image manipulating.
    Have a look in your editing software for a command like "convert to profile", and choose sRGB. Avoid using any command that says "assign profile", that is something else.

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    ....Avoid using any command that says "assign profile", that is something else.
    Hmm, is the difference between assigning (tagging) and embedding more clear these days than it used to be? I remember an old thread on LuLa: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com...?topic=10585.0 Sadly, Bruce Fraser passed away later that year.
    --
    Odd S.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Hmm, is the difference between assigning (tagging) and embedding more clear these days than it used to be? I remember an old thread on LuLa: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com...?topic=10585.0 Sadly, Bruce Fraser passed away later that year.
    --
    Odd S.
    The terms "convert to" and "assign" profiles are terms found in Adobe software, namely Photoshop. As I understand it the difference is this:

"Convert to" means to take the colours that are in the original colour space and replace them with ones that are closest in the destination colour space. So when one converts from say AdobeRGB to sRGB, any sRGB out-of-gamut colours will be replaced by sRGB in-gamut colours that are the closest match. This invariably involves the RGB values (0-255) changing for specific colours.

Assign profile means take the same RGB values and use a different colour space to render them. As an extreme Green in AdobeRGB will be very different from what can be displayed in sRGB, you can get a noticeable unwanted change.

Neither of these two are directly related to embedding or tagging an image.
    Last edited by pschlute; 24th June 2022 at 01:54 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It is.

Real Name
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Have a look in your editing software for a command like "convert to profile", and choose sRGB. Avoid using any command that says "assign profile", that is something else.
    I have been looking and looking at mine (GraphicConverter 11) - I do not see anything to accomplish this.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I have been looking and looking at mine (GraphicConverter 11) - I do not see anything to accomplish this.
    My advice then is to set your camera to shoot in sRGB and avoid Adobe RGB altogether

Real Name
    Tyler

Heh. I j-u-s-t checked that, literally.
    It is, and always has been, set to sRGB so I don't understand why both you and DanK are seeing it in aRGB then.

Real Name
    Dan

Heh. I j-u-s-t checked that, literally.
    It is, and always has been, set to sRGB so I don't understand why both you and DanK are seeing it in aRGB then.
    It could be the software you used to edit it. I have no familarity with it, but it could have assigned a different profile. In any case, when I checked the EXIF data, it said Adobe RGB.

Real Name
    Tyler

Thank you for your helping me with this, guys- it's all new to me.

It appears that a- or s-RGB is a RAW thing? That is the only tab in my IMAGE FORMATS selections that has any mention/selection for those two color spaces.

I shoot large/fine jpegs almost exclusively.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

If you are shooting JPEGs, the colour space will be assigned by your camera when it creates the image file. Raw is just data and has no colour space. The raw data has to be converted to an image before it can be viewed.

Real Name
    Dan

I've never used a D7000, but I expect it has a color space setting which lets you choose which color space, sRGB or Adobe RGB, it should use in its in-camera conversion from raw to JPEG. Canon cameras do.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I've never used a D7000, but I expect it has a color space setting which lets you choose which color space, sRGB or Adobe RGB, it should use in its in-camera conversion from raw to JPEG. Canon cameras do.
    So do Nikon cameras. My wife has a D7500 and that functionality is certainly there. The D7000 came out shortly after I bought the D90 and the D90 has the sRGB / Adobe RGB options, so I suspect the D7000 must as well.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Thank you for your helping me with this, guys- it's all new to me.

It appears that a- or s-RGB is a RAW thing? That is the only tab in my IMAGE FORMATS selections that has any mention/selection for those two color spaces.

I shoot large/fine jpegs almost exclusively.
    In your camera you set the colour space in the Shooting Menu

If you are editing the image in your Graphic Converter software, you need to ensure that the output (saved file) is in sRGB colour space.
    Last edited by pschlute; 28th June 2022 at 09:59 AM.

Real Name
    Tyler

It is, and always has been, set to sRGB ...

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Sir, if your camera is set to sRGB then it must be your software that is converting it to Adobe RGB

I am trying to help you here. A single one-line reply from you without consideration is not going to elicit any more help from me.

There is no magic at play here....you are producing an image in AdobeRGB format and only you can find out why
    Last edited by pschlute; 28th June 2022 at 08:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast