Thread: 3 from the Z6

Real Name
    Bill

3 from the Z6

An update on the journey - please bear in mind that this was about physical comfort and not about a lack of satisfaction with the performance of the D810.

Castle Craig

3 from the Z6

Damned midges

3 from the Z6

The old shed

3 from the Z6

My only comment on these is I'm pretty comfortable with them: physically comfortable after 4 hours in the field and photographically comfortable in that I'm sure the D810 woud not have done better.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: 3 from the Z6

I know virtually nothing about Nikons, but this looks like a case where sensor advances over time more than offset sensor size. According to photonstophotos.net, the Z6 matches or exceeds the dynamic range of the 810 and exceeds the DR or the 810 in DX mode by a full stop or more, despite the smaller sensor on the Z6:

3 from the Z6
    Last edited by DanK; 5th July 2022 at 09:52 PM.

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks for the objective data Dan.

Real Name
    Bill

Should have posted this in the original, but if you view "Midges" at 100% you will see several small dark spots - these are the small voracious Scottiesh gnats or "midges' and not dust.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

If as rumoured latter this year a Z 6iii becomes available with a plus 30mpix I suspect I will also make the jump to mirrorless. I'm reluctant to move too far from 36mpix but certainly see no need to move to over 40mpix.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Should have posted this in the original, but if you view "Midges" at 100% you will see several small dark spots - these are the small voracious Scottiesh gnats or "midges' and not dust.
    Excuses, excuses. How did you manage to get so much dust on the sensor so quickly? ......

You can tell I am following your reaction to the Z6ii very closely...

Real Name
    Bill

Paul, if you have any questions feel free to post them here or PM me. At this early stage my view is pleasantly surprised. My son has a Sony A6400 which I find too small and light but the weight and configuration of the grip area at the right of the Z6 body make it handle very nicely. I love the slient shutter too. The 24-70 'S' lens deserves all the praise it is recieving. The only gripes fall into the "same but different' menu settings but time will fix those. I haven't done any BIF shooting yet but it's coped well with the capers of my nephew's daft labrador.

You spefically mention not wanting to go too far away from the mpx count of the D800 - so far that's not been a problem - and there are always some tempting longer reach lenses ...

Bill

Real Name
    Richard

I love the shot of the stag! What focal length did you use?
    Just for information sake: Regarding camera sizes: the Sony A6600 has a larger hand grip than does the A6400, because of the larger size battery it uses. I have a Arca Compatible L grip attached to my A6600, which makes the camera a bit larger than a stock A6600 body and also makes it more comfortable for my slightly large hands...

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks Richard. It was taken with the Nikon 300mmPF prime with 1.4TC

Thanks for the update on the A66XX handling too.

Real Name
    Richard

I loved my Canon 300mm f/4L IS prime lens and I wish that Sony had a 300mm f/4 prime eMount lens - especially one that could accept a teleconverter!