Thread: Pedestrian Bridge

Real Name
    Daniel

Pedestrian Bridge

I got off the highway because of heavy rain and wound up in Buchanan, Virginia, where I came across this wooden pedestrian suspension bridge. Not a very sharp image. I suspect that the internal camera stabilization was off. I will check before I shoot again.

Pedestrian Bridge

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Pedestrian Bridge

A bit of a challenge to stabilise a swing bridge. Did you take any photographs from it or did you wisely remain on the safety of solid ground?

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    A bit of a challenge to stabilise a swing bridge. Did you take any photographs from it or did you wisely remain on the safety of solid ground?
    Hi Paul, The image shown was from solid ground. I walked across and took a few shots. The wood felt a bit spongy in some areas, and it did sway. It was fun to cross and scenic. Wasn't pleased with any of the shots. The one posted though not well taken at least shows the scene. Never seen a bridge like this in the States before. Thank you for looking and commenting.

Real Name
    Dan

it's very hard to say at this small size, but it looks like the issue is DOF, not stabilization. Stabilization, as Paul pointed out, wouldn't help with movement of the bridge. The near end of the bridge looks to me to be slightly sharper than the rocks in the middle of the river, which suggests a focal point on the near end and too shallow a DOF.

It would be very difficult to get all of this sharply in focus without stacking.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    it's very hard to say at this small size, but it looks like the issue is DOF, not stabilization. Stabilization, as Paul pointed out, wouldn't help with movement of the bridge. The near end of the bridge looks to me to be slightly sharper than the rocks in the middle of the river, which suggests a focal point on the near end and too shallow a DOF.

It would be very difficult to get all of this sharply in focus without stacking.
    Thank you, Dan.

Real Name
    Philip

Not sure whether you want comments here regarding only sharpness and stabilisation, Daniel, but I'll add that the top of the image seems dazzling. I would crop to remove the sky above the left tree, darken slightly the remaining top third, and slightly lift a bit more from the shadows.

Philip

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Dan,

It strikes me the lighting was very flat and while it presents here with good tonal range, I would try improving 'local contrast' (aka Clarity, perhaps Texture and Dehaze too).

I agree with Philip regarding the crop and selective processing, but also adding what I suggest above too.

Cheers, Dave