Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Epson XP6100 printer

Real Name
    David Phillips

Epson XP6100 printer

A while since I posted here so I`ll get to the point.

Does anyone use this printer?I`m thinking of buying since my Canon Pixma MG 5750
    has become troublesome.

Alternately any recomendations for a paper/photo printer for about £120 or less.

Well I am a pensioner!! lol Dave

Re: Epson XP6100 printer

Quote Originally Posted by swanseadave View Post
    ...Alternately any recomendations for a paper/photo printer for about £120 or less...
    I can't recommend but I can comment.

The Epson XP-6100 is a multi-function device, i.e. it can scan as well as print. The max. paper size is A4 If you do not need a scanner then investigate the print-only Epson Expression XP-55, which, as I type, can be bought from Amazon UK at £109.99. Again the max. paper size is A4.

Alternatively, investigate the next model up from the XP-6100, the XP-8700, which, as I type, is available from Amazon UK at £115.00. It too is a multi-function device with a max paper size of A4.

It's beyond your stated budget but I have the Epson Expression Photo XP-960, i.e. the predecessor to the current XP-970. This is another multi-function device but it will print up to A3. This device is more than adequate for my amateur needs.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Epson XP6100 printer

David - there are several things to look at when making colour photo prints. Often the large commercial retailers can make prints at a fraction of the price of the small ink jet printers, like your current Canon and the Epson model you are looking at. The quality will be in line with what these small printers can achieve.

You need to look farther than just the cost of the printer. Printer manufacturers almost give away the printers at a low price so that you create income for them by buying expensive cartridges. The small printers like the one you are looking have a very high cost of ink per print. That along with paper costs are going to be your main printing costs. The higher end printers have larger cartridges, but the cost per print can go quite drastically. When I bought my first photo printer, the main reason I went with the more expensive model was that the ink cost per ml was 50% lower than the next model down (it also prints A2 size paper and the smaller one only handles A3).

Another, potentially more minor issue, is print longevity. The smaller printers tend to use dye based inks that fade far more quickly than the more expensive pigment inks.