Thread: Colour management settings for competitions.

Colour management settings for competitions.

First question on this forum. Here goes ...

I use hardware calibration for my NEC monitor with a colorimeter, so it's accurate. I understand enough about colour management to print accurately - I did this for years for customers. What I've stumbled across is what to set my monitor's intensity target settings to.

Let me explain. For screen editing I use D65 and 2.2 gamma as target settings when calibrating. (I use D50 etc for print). Where I've become uncertain about is what to set the intensity to? I've used professional critique sessions (no right to question) where my images have been judged to be underexposed a little. This is probably because I have used the industry standard 140cd/m2** setting (or 120 cd/m2 latterly). The problem seems to me is second guessing the judges own intensity setting. I'm happy my colour and judges colours match - it's the intensity settings that differs I suspect. If my screen is set brighter than the judges then my photos will appear darker on theirs, all other parameters being equal. The problem I foresee is what on earth should I set my intensity settings to for competition entries? Competition entry fees will be wasted if I embark on an entry spree if the judges' monitor intensities are setup differently to mine.

The difference between 140 and say 100 cd/m2 is marked when viewing images on other screens. 140 cd/m2 is an industry standard, but I suspect I would be better nearer 100 cd/m2. Anyone any recommendations, please?

Many thanks

(As background I have my measured ambient viewing conditions are adjusted to near 6000K and 30 lux. I say near, as my curtains are not 100% blackout and my wall colour is not completely neutral, so strong sunlight tends to warm things up a little at times. I try to account for this)

** I'm beginning to think judges may not use industry standard settings (intensity only here) as they don't expect entrants to be following any standards. When I worked as a technical illustrator I'd pass docs around colleagues/customers in the industry knowing we were all setup equal.
    Last edited by BarryE; 22nd August 2022 at 05:49 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Colour management settings for competitions.

Barry, I can't answer any of your technical questions but I can say welcome to CIC. There are some here who definitely will be able to provide some comment on your questions.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've never heard the 140 cd / square metre; that seems to be a little on the bright side to me. The recommended ranges I have seen have been in the 80 - 120 cd / sq metre range. Candela / square meter are emissivity values that are measured at the surface of the light source while the light levels are what falls on the work area is measured in lux. The recommended values I see is that for colour correction work, the light level at the work surface should be 32 lux (which is bright enough to read, but it will be eye straining to do so).

My source for this data is the Focal Press book by Tom P Ashe. "Color Management & Quality Output". I have a number of other references that give similar recommendations. I work with a wide-gamut screen (99% Adobe RGB compliant) that I have set to an output of 80 cd / sq metre. The light level in my windowless basement office is 29 lux, at the work surface.

I am a national level photographic judge (CAPA -Canadian Association for Photographic Art), the Canadian affiliate of FIAP - Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique. I am frequently invited to sit on photographic juries for local, regional, national and international competitions. To do online CAPA judging, I have to use a 100% sRGB compliant screen that is at least 17" diagonal, I have to set it to 120 cd / sq metre and the low light ambient light levels that I had previously mentioned. I have to re-calibrate / re-profile no more than 1 week before I judge an event. These specs are available to anyone entering a competition. I have also done live judging with projected images and print competitions; here the organizers have recommended settings to follow that are in line with the online judging environment.

Whenever some tells me my images are too light or too dark, it is generally a problem at the other end. You might ask the reviewers what their equipment settings are.

I hope that this helps / makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Barry, I can't answer any of your technical questions but I can say welcome to CIC. There are some here who definitely will be able to provide some comment on your questions.
    Thanks for the welcome Bruce. I've been active for years on the pentaxforums site and somebody kindly reminded me of Cambridge for this more detailed question. Now I'm here I'll take a look around ...

Manfred, that's really helpful. Thank you.

My ambient is 30 lux (typo when I previously wrote cd/m2). Your judging requirements to set your intensity target at 120 cd/m2 is just what I was looking for.

The 140 cd/m2 comes from NEC's standard target, which I defaulted to. I also used this when I worked as a technical illustrator, but then the offices(s) had florescent strip lighting which wasn't great. I suspected 140 cd/m2 was too bright.

I feel happier now knowing 120 cd/m2 is more appropriate. I will take your advice and check with the competition organisers before post processing.

Big help. Thanks again...

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by BarryE View Post
    and somebody kindly reminded me of Cambridge for this more detailed question. .
    I wonder who that could have been

Welcome Barry

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    I wonder who that could have been

Welcome Barry
    Some nice and helpful guy ... :-)

Thanks Peter.