Thread: Electric Control Room

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Electric Control Room

This room managed the supply of electricity from the grid to railway sub-stations in a large area of Surrey from 1936 until 1997.

Sadly it is only opened to the public on two days a year.

Electric Control RoomIMGP5897 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Electric Control RoomIMGP5872 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Electric Control RoomIMGP5868 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Electric Control Room

Interesting place Peter, I'm surprised the equipment hasn't been removed. The image (1) showing the desk telephone kit takes me back a few years to another life. I spent many a happy hour installing Key and Lamp Units like the four on the desk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

It is grade 2 listed, so will continue to be preserved. It is looked after by a group of volunteers, most of whom are retired engineers who worked here.

One fact I found fascinating was that when in use it was powered by two huge rechargeable batteries ! As it's function was to manage the supply of power from three points on the national grid, it could not afford to be affected by a power cut itself.

I remember key and lamp units myself, from my early days at work. Did you notice the even older switchboard on the left, complete with wind up handle ?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    It is grade 2 listed, so will continue to be preserved. It is looked after by a group of volunteers, most of whom are retired engineers who worked here.

One fact I found fascinating was that when in use it was powered by two huge rechargeable batteries ! As it's function was to manage the supply of power from three points on the national grid, it could not afford to be affected by a power cut itself.

I remember key and lamp units myself, from my early days at work. Did you notice the even older switchboard on the left, complete with wind up handle ?
    I didn't look left Peter, good job I wasn't crossing a road!.
    It's a strange looking switchboard I was expecting to see cords with TRS plugs to make the connections between the extensions. Not something I've seen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk