Thread: Sunset - Lighthouse at Peggy's Cover, Nova Scotia, Canada

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Sunset - Lighthouse at Peggy's Cover, Nova Scotia, Canada

This is a composite image using some of the 30 shots I too at what is probably the most photographed landscape in Eastern Canada. The lighthouse at Peggy's Cove, in Nova, Scotia, Canada.

Getting a "clean" sunset shot is almost impossible as this is probably the most visited site in this part of the world. Busloads of tourists are brought in from the cruise ships to visit here.

There were many dozens of people here to watch the sunset, so I set up my very sturdy tripod with 24mm shift-tilt lens and took pictures so that I could stack images in Photoshop and remove the various visitors. I cleaned up most of them. The base shot was taken right at sunset (according to my PhotoPills app), so the cleanup was complicated by the rapidly changing white balance that happens when the sun is about to dip below the horizon..

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Sunset - Lighthouse at Peggy's Cover, Nova Scotia, Canada

Manfred, nice capture.

Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Manfred, nice capture.

Bruce
    Not a capture, but a composite of many of the 30 shots taken. This is a single capture and is typical of any of the images that went into the blend. People were everywhere and had to be removed one by one.

Real Name
    Dan

We’ll done.I know from personal experience how difficult the rapid changes in WB can make things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Lovely work Manfred. Proving the point that the click of the shutter is only near the beginning of creating an image.

Real Name
    André

Manfred,
    Very impressive work with the white balance, particularly on the rocks and the lighthouse. However, the sky doesn't look quite right. There is a dark blueish wedge down to the horizon half way between the lighthouse and the right edge of the frame that does not look natural to me.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    There is a dark blueish wedge down to the horizon half way between the lighthouse and the right edge of the frame that does not look natural to me.
    Here is the SOOC JPEG image I used as the base layer (I did use the raw file in my processing stack) and if you look carefully, you can see the "V". The final version has global adjustments made to the sky; contrast and brightness (curves adjustment layers)which bring out the deeper hues. I did not use the saturation tools to boost saturation, but as I was working with the Normal blending mode, the contrast and brightness adjustments would have a small impact on the saturation.

I did an area adjustment to the rocks to brighten them as well. Pretty well everything else dealt with removing people from the image. As always, I do a lot of dodging and burning.