Thread: A question for users of Bridge

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A question for users of Bridge

Following on from the release of new versions of Photoshop (v24) and Bridge (v13), I have a query re Bridge.

Previously one could move images around in 'Collections' when in 'Essentials' view. In other words, we could move an image and thereby edit (not delete an image) a collection and lay it out in a preferred order. We can still do that in 'Folders' where we store the images, but if a copy is put in a Collection, then it can't be moved within the Collection.

Anyone else worked out a solution or is it just an issue with the new version that needs to be sorted out by a later update.

Real Name
    E. James

Re: A question for users of Bridge

I sympathize. Bridge now looks like rocket science to me.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

A Bridge too far ?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Noted your comments, guys. Thanks.

Seems that Bridge is not an overwhelmingly popular part of the package. Hopefully there are some others in the world that use it, otherwise Adobe will drop it pretty rapidly. Then I'd be lost and have to resort to that Lightroom thing as my library/storeroom tool.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I have never used it despite being part of the package I subscribe to.

I used PS Elements before, and the transition to LR as a library was very seamless. If you do make the switch I can hopefully help.

ps I seem to recall Manfred uses Bridge

Real Name
    Dan

Sorry, but I can’t help. I almost never use Bridge, and never for anything that complicated. I’ve used Lightroom for years. It’s straightforward once one is familiar with it (which of course takes time), and I find it very handy to have database management, parametric editing, and printing all in one integrated package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    E. James

I was (after a bit of tinkering) able to make a Collection and add images to the Collection. But, no, I could not arrange images within a Collection.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Donald, I always use bridge, but never use it to organize my images. I have always done that using directories and folders so have no experience with that aspect of this tool.

Bridge is absolutely invaluable if the moment you use other Adobe software; Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro, Audition, etc. as it helps manage integrated projects. When I build a slideshow, I use Premiere Pro as my main tool, but link into still images, video clips, graphics and a soundtrack (background music and voice-over). Bridge helps me seamlessly tie all these together.

A book is built using InDesign with images pulled from Photoshop, InCopy and Illustrator, using Bridge to manage these components.

As a stand alone product just for Photoshop, I tend to use Windows Explorer most of the time.

Like Manfred, Bridge is essential to me. I have never made any sense of that weird Lightroom thing. Without Bridge I would leave Photoshop and move to other photo software.

But I never use Collections, well OK I have tried it a few times but found straight forward traditional files in folders made more sense to me. So I can't really add any help to Donald's original question.

Real Name
    Dan

Like Manfred, Bridge is essential to me. I have never made any sense of that weird Lightroom thing. Without Bridge I would leave Photoshop and move to other photo software.
    I try never to offer unsolicited suggestions about software, and I am not recommending that you try Lightroom. I just want to suggest that if you start with the right concept, it's actually not weird. The starting point is either:
    --the file structure you have on your computer, or
    --A subset of that, specifically, the directories you tell LR to include.

To make it simple, I put all of the directories I want LR to see under one parent directory called photos. So in the library module of LR, I see this:

which is the same as what I would see in a file manager like File Explorer, or the far more powerful Directory Opus that I use instead:

All of the other functions of LR, including the database functions, parametric editing, printing, and more, are simply layered on top of this.

The only complication is that once you have some portion of your directory structure cataloged in LR, you have to make changes to that structure from within LR. E.g., you rename or move the cataloged directors from within LR. Otherwise, it gets confused, and you have to tell it again where to find things.
    Last edited by DanK; 26th October 2022 at 11:35 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thanks for the question Donald: want to make mention that the responses from Manfred and Dan have been very useful for me.

Hi Dan...

Is it of any concern to you that: bugs; bequests; bayphoto; architecture; and adirondacks_2009, appear not important enough to be attributed Capitalization?

... although adirondacks_2009 does achieve an underscore.

(unsolicited attempt at humour)

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    I was (after a bit of tinkering) able to make a Collection and add images to the Collection. But, no, I could not arrange images within a Collection.
    At the bottom of the frame is a click list which defaults to "capture time". Click it and select "custom". now drag your images around to the desired order
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    At the bottom of the frame is a click list which defaults to "capture time". Click it and select "custom". now drag your images around to the desired order
    I don't use Bridge but I do have it as part of my Adobe package.

However Peter's fix seems to be the same as one would do in Lightroom Classic.
    That suggests to me that the Adobe code writers are seeking continuity across their various software applications

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post

That suggests to me that the Adobe code writers are seeking continuity across their various software applications

To avoid confusion my advice and screenshot relates to LR, not Bridge.

I read the post from Abitconfused to be referring to LR..... or perhaps I was a bit confused !

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post

The last major changes to ACR also suggest this.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Peter

I don't have that Menu Bar that you highlight. Are you able to enlighten me further? What view are you in and which frame are you referring to?

ps - Just read your second post and note that you were using a Lightroom screenshot. We don't have that in Bridge.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Thanks for the question Donald: want to make mention that the responses from Manfred and Dan have been very useful for me.
    Bill,

I am glad to have been the vehicle/vessel for eliciting learned comments from our colleagues!

Hope you are well.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Bill
    I am glad to have been the vehicle/vessel for eliciting learned comments from our colleagues!
    Hope you are well.
    Yes, indeed, as mentioned in my bio, I read much more here than I type, because, simply put there is much information and opinion worth reading. CiC is indeed, in many facets, an high quality Forum.

Donald,
    I am very well thank you. Trust you are also in fine fettle. I believe, in part, my wellness is attributed to the Scotch in me - the Single Malt variety...
    We are still planning to visit Scotland, the inconvenient Covid thing put the plans on hold for a few years.

Bill