David

Tattoos, a fountain and a bear

or is it a lion ?

Tattoos, a fountain and a bear

From a recent shoot at a local château with a few friends

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Tattoos, a fountain and a bear

This is a totally different image from you David and I like it a lot. The choice of black and white works for me.
    Cheers Ole

David I like the image. What follows is probably completely off target but then again who cares.
    I find the top left hand corner distracting. If it were my photo I would crop the top off so that there are only three horizontal lines. Not so sure maybe I'd leave it as is. The 'male' is in a neatly ordered world the female all over the place.
    The image for me is a modern day version of Leda and the swan. The seduction is reversed; it is the female that is doing the seducing. The 'male' is stuck in time and gazing into oblivion. Milk over water. Eye glasses suggest learning. The metal in the nipple and the tattoos suggest self control over personal image.

What was your take on the image?
    Last edited by BobGilbody; 28th October 2022 at 10:35 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Interesting photo.

Bruce

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by BobGilbody View Post
    David I like the image. What follows is probably completely off target but then again who cares.
    I find the top left hand corner distracting. If it were my photo I would crop the top off so that there are only three horizontal lines. Not so sure maybe I'd leave it as is. The 'male' is in a neatly ordered world the female all over the place.
    The image for me is a modern day version of Leda and the swan. The seduction is reversed; it is the female that is doing the seducing. The 'male' is stuck in time and gazing into oblivion. Milk over water. Eye glasses suggest learning. The metal in the nipple and the tattoos suggest self control over personal image.

What was your take on the image?
    Interesting... I included the piece of stonework top left to balance the similar shape bottom right, partial symmetry. I'll try a crop without and see how it looks. The really important thing for me was the vertical line in the stonework that aligned with her face and breast.

As for your interpretation : bang on regarding control of self image - the lady is a collector of tattoos, hardly a square inch left. She models to display them. Learning - yes, that too, she is a scientific by day.

David you might find the following quotes of interest. Maybe it is why a good image for an advertiser is one that tunes into a large number of people and leads them to want the thing being advertised.

1]
    Not only are my objective perceptions, as of a man's head or a candlestick, formed of a great number
    of parts ordered in a definite manner, but they are invariably accompanied by an endless string of
    memories, all equally complex.
    From ‘On the Nature of Things-in-Themselves’. Clifford

2]
    We can include with the conceptions the direct experiences in which sense-impressions and activities
    themselves take the place of the traces which they have left in the mind. The distinction is unimportant for our purpose, especially since memories of sense-impressions and activities always help to complete the conceptual image.
    From ‘On Sense and Reference’. Frege

3]
    [1932-1934]
    My thinking, like everyone’s, has sticking to it the shrivelled remains of my earlier (withered)
    ideas.
    From ‘Culture and Value’ Wittgenstein

PS In 1962 I visited Clermont-Ferrand and Limoges during a coach trip through France to Spain. Nice part of the world.