Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photoshop 2023 Will Not Open

Real Name
    Richard

Photoshop 2023 Will Not Open

I was working on images and viewing some videos from my Honor Flight to Washington DC, After I edited one image, Photoshop 2023 refused to open.

I cannot open it from the task bar nor from the File Explorer.

I am working on a Dell XPS 8900 with 32GB of RAM and a 64 Bit Operating system that should have enough memory (225 GB memory with 29.6 GB open) and is running Windows 10 home

All my other programs seem to work. Bridge 2023 will open but I cannot open an image or video clip I have selected.

Here are some tips https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/a...7-ways-to-fix/

I wonder which one you suggest.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Photoshop 2023 Will Not Open

My general approach is to:

1. Close Photoshop and restart it,

2. If that doesn't work, power down the computer and restart it. That would clear any processes that were running and did not terminate properly. Try to run Photoshop;

3. Uninstall Photoshop, power down your computer and after restart, reinstall Photoshop; and

4. If none of this works, contact Adobe.

Real Name
    Dan

I would follow the same steps as Manfred, except that after #2, if it still doesn't open from the task bar or file explorer, try starting it from the Adobe Creative Cloud app.

Is your computer connected to the internet? You have to 'sign in' to Adobe about once a month to automatically verify your subscription status.

As Dan suggested, can you open Creative Cloud?

Do you need to clear the Cache? I have had problems with the Cache quantity exceeding the available limits. So I went to the disc where the Cache is stored and deleted those files.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

When you updated to v24 did you select the option to "delete older versions". You can check for older versions in the Creative Cloud Desktop app.

Sounds to me that your shortcuts may be pointing to the wrong place.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

I cannot open it from the task bar nor from the File Explorer.
    Have your tried the start menu ?

Real Name
    Dan

Sounds to me that your shortcuts may be pointing to the wrong place.
    It does sound like that. Normally, the shortcut is updated if you leave old versions on, but it may have gotten messed up somehow.

Dan

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks - I tried these methods:

1. Close Photoshop and restart it. Didn't work

2. If that doesn't work, power down the computer and restart it. That would clear any processes that were running and did not terminate properly. Try to run Photoshop; I did this yesterday and it kind of worked, Photoshop opened but it limped along and did not work well. This morning it did not open at all.

3. Uninstall Photoshop, power down your computer and after restart, reinstall Photoshop;
    This is what I will do today! I have uninstalled both Photoshop and Bridge. I am going to my exercise program now and will turn of my computer when I am gone. Then I will power up the computer and reinstall Photoshop and Bridge when I return. I hope that this works.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 10th November 2022 at 02:55 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

You might want to ensure that all old versions of Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge have been deleted too.

The installers sometimes leave old garbage behind and that is what the Adobe technician ended up doing remotely with my computer.

Real Name
    Dan

If that doesn't work, power down the computer and restart it. That would clear any processes that were running and did not terminate properly. Try to run Photoshop; I did this yesterday and it kind of worked, Photoshop opened but it limped along and did not work well. This morning it did not open at all.
    This certainly suggests that the icon is not pointing to an old version. If you want to get a reasonably clean installation, you could do this:

1) deregister it, uninstall it from the adobe creative cloud app, then go to windows "add or remove programs" to uninstall any old versions that might be hanging around.

2) As an optional step, you could go in with a file manager and clean things out, but that could remove things you want to preserve, leaving you with a completely new installation.

3) clean the cache. Here are instructions I can't vouch for:

It's in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp. To access that, you can type %LocalAppData%\Temp in the Start > Run field.

Look for "Photoshop Temp" file list. Delete those files.
    4) reinstall Photoshop from the creative cloud app.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks... I finally decided to delete Photoshop and Bridge and then reinstall the programs. I have deleted the Beta Version of Photoshop that I had installed but, when I open an image from Bridge - it will often (not always but often) open the image in the Beta version.

This seems to work but, I'd like to get rid of the Beta version.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th November 2022 at 05:35 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Thanks... I finally decided to delete Photoshop and Bridge and then reinstall the programs. I have deleted the Beta Version of Photoshop that I had installed but, when I open an image from Bridge - it will often (not always but often) open the image in the Beta version.

This seems to work but, I'd like to get rid of the Beta version.
    I NEVER install beta versions of software on my working computer. Doing so can really mess up your computer.

I have a "development" computer that I have used that way in the past. I thoroughly clean up all traces of beta software, including getting into the registry and cleaning it up manually.

Your problems might have been caused by residue left from the beta software.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

If you have not done so already Richard it may help to run a registry cleaner on your machine.

I have used CCleaner for years without any issues. It is free to use. As a precaution back up your registry first, CCleaner prompts you to do this.