Thread: Vietnam 2022

Real Name
    Brian

Vietnam 2022

Recently spent 6 weeks in Vietnam with my wife's family. Unfortunately, it rained most of the time and we did not get out and about much. And, by rain, I mean we had a 12hr period where it rained 650mm (25.6in). However, there were a few very narrow weather windows that I was able to sneak in a few relatively decent shots. I would highly recommend making a trip to Vietnam. It is a "target rich environment" if you love photography. I'm already looking forward to going back.

This was a couple of days before Typhoon Noru scored a direct hit on our location.

Vietnam 2022

The next two are from an incense vendor along a roadside in Hue, Vietnam. The colors are of different fragrances and painstakingly arranged in colorful detail.

Vietnam 2022

Vietnam 2022

And this is an aerial view taken with my drone of a farmhouse alongside a lazy flowing river that was a torrent only a few days before.

Vietnam 2022

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Vietnam 2022

Nice captures! I might straighten the horizon of shot #1.

What restrictions regarding flying drones were in effect?

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

That first is a cracker.... love the subtle tones.

The colours of 2 + 3 are very nice too.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Nice captures! I might straighten the horizon of shot #1.

What restrictions regarding flying drones were in effect?
    If you read the "rules" for drone flying in Vietnam, as per communist govt bureaucracy, you have to get pre-approval 2 weeks in advance, pay $400 PER DAY, and the permit is only good for that day. That is usually for flying around big cities and following the rules like a good little tourist. Add to that, the govt there isn't really enforcing such things unless they can get some "coffee money" on the side. I got a lecture (for show) at the airport from one of the immigration officers and just played along. Since I was out in the countryside and very few people around, I had free reign to fly. Only a couple of curious onlookers showed up at one spot. I've wanted to get some aerial shots of the rice fields and countryside since my last trip in early 2020. I finally got part of my dream accomplished. I want to find more spots but I'm super paranoid about flying no matter where or what country I'm in. Just don't want any confrontations or confiscations. Drones aren't exactly cheap.