Thread: Upgraded to PS 2023. No option to open from LR

Real Name
    Brian

Upgraded to PS 2023. No option to open from LR

I just installed PS 2023. I had 2022 installed and was working fine opening files direct from LR. However, after I installed PS 2023, LR doesn't give me the option of opening the file in the most current version. I deleted 2022 figuring that would take care of getting the option back, but it didn't. I reinstalled both LR and PS 2024 and still don't have a way to open in PS from within LR. Anyone know how I can resync the 2 to be able to edit in PS direct from LR? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Upgraded to PS 2023. No option to open from LR

Hitting <Control> <e> doesn't work?

I have the most current versions of both pieces of software and this continues to work, like it always has.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

LR has an option where you set the default editor. Maybe it needs resetting.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    LR has an option where you set the default editor. Maybe it needs resetting.
    Not seeing an option to set a default editor. The preferences has a section to see specific items when editing in photoshop but not any way to set a default editor.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Hitting <Control> <e> doesn't work?

I have the most current versions of both pieces of software and this continues to work, like it always has.
    No. <ctrl> <e> doesn't work. I've reinstalled both LR and PS and that doesn't work either. Guess that's what I get for "upgrading".

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    Not seeing an option to set a default editor. The preferences has a section to see specific items when editing in photoshop but not any way to set a default editor.
    You are absolutely correct. Adobe seem to have removed the option of using an alternative editor.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    You are absolutely correct. Adobe seem to have removed the option of using an alternative editor.
    In my CC Lightroom Classic preferences it defaults to PS 2023. There is the option to select an external editor by pressing the "choose" option.

If i right click one of my raw files in LR I can select "edit in PS 2023. I don't use this method however, as it doesnt open them in ACR, but as a normal image ? I always open raw files and image files directly from PS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Peter

My photoshop version is 24.0.1, my Lightroom Classic is version 12.0.1 with Camera raw at version 15.0.

I don't have any of the issues that Bill is describing! The keyboard shortcut "Ctrl E" works as does the menu option "Photo-Edit in Photoshop". However the text in Lightroom when using the above edit in menu route shows as "PS version 23" not the latest version 24. But when I use that menu method it opens PS24.0.1

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    However the text in Lightroom when using the above edit in menu route shows as "PS version 23" not the latest version 24. But when I use that menu method it opens PS24.0.1
    I think the confusion is the way Adobe names these things. The most recent updates last month were to Adobe CC 2023 , but the CC app is actually version 5.9.0.372

Photoshop is referred to as Photoshop 2023 but the version is 24.0.1

The distinction is that the product/s are referred to by the year (2023) , but that does not coincide with the version number.

LR is correct in that it is pointing you to "PS 2023" which is version 24.0.1

All clear

Real Name
    Dan

I'm sorry, but I can't find anything that will help. My versions are up to date (LR 12.01, PS 24.0.1), and this works as it always has: ctrl-E opens the image in photoshop, and the photo - edit in menu has the full range of choices it used to have.

I looked for something in preferences that might control this but couldn't find anything.

There are some posts on the web about this problem. I searched <lightroom control E does not work>, but there may be better search strings.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for all the help and tips. I've run into this before but it's been a while and don't remember how I stumbled through and got everything synced up. One of the reasons I hate to upgrade either versions of LR and PS.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    Thanks for all the help and tips. I've run into this before but it's been a while and don't remember how I stumbled through and got everything synced up. One of the reasons I hate to upgrade either versions of LR and PS.
    Right click the image in LR....do you not see "edit in" ?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Right click the image in LR....do you not see "edit in" ?
    Yes, there is an "edit in" but, it is grayed out. Even after reinstalling PS v24. I have the workaround of using an alternate editor and select PS but I usually open from LR as a smart object so I can go back and re-edit if needed. Yes, there is an added step to convert to smart object once I use the workaround but, it's an added step and slows down the workflow.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Perhaps it is time to contact Adobe support?

I had a similar, but different issue, a few years agai. The root cause was some of the old versions of the software did not get properly cleaned up after I updated my software. The Adobe technician took control of my machine and just cleaned everything up and after a reboot, everything worked as expected.