Thread: Jazz concert

Real Name
    David

Jazz concert

The group "Rouge", pianist Madeleine Cazenave with bass and percussion at the theatre Union in Limoges Tuesday evening.
    A brilliant concert but dreadfully low light, this was taken at 1/20s F4 and still needed 6400 ISO.

Jazz concert

Re: Jazz concert

Very good for such a high Iso. I don't like going above 800 due to noise problems.

Real Name
    raymond

well done

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Cracking shot.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Very good for such a high Iso. I don't like going above 800 due to noise problems.
    Buy a Fuji X-T5 ! (or even an old X-T3 like mine).

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Chataignier View Post
    I might well buy an XT-4 (the XT-5 has too many pixels for APS-C IMHO) it weren’t for the problems LR and ACR have with x-trans raw files. I’m not willing to lose the time it would take to achieve comparable expertise with different software. If Adobe solves this, it will become a very appealing option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    David

OK - I was joking, but I see you have considered it ! As for LR and x-trans raw files, I have been using the X-T3 with LR and Photoshop for ages and have no problems at all. Yes, if you push the sharpening too far you see worms, but pushing the sharpening that far on Canon Raw files produced artefacts too, just different ones. I had exactly the same results with Capture 1. Just dont push the sharpening too far...

As for the X-T4, all the reviews I've seen really rate it for video, but are not so keen for still photography. The X-T5 has been heralded as a return to focus on still, but if you dont want the pixels, you could save a fortune by buying a used X-T3. I regularly use mine at ISO 6400 for concerts and am more than happy with the results.

Real Name
    Dan

David,

Thanks for the feedback.

One reason I am reluctant to go with the XT-5 is that the diffraction limit will be at a very wide aperture. The impact of diffraction is often overstated, but it's still a consideration. Even the Canon R7 @ 32 MPX is pushing it, I think.

Re the worms: at some point, I'll try for myself if I can borrow an XT-3 or 4 for a day. The feedback I've gotten from Fuji users has been all over the map, from people saying that there is no problem to others warning me not to buy the camera. You're in the middle.

These days, many users are saying that one should either use Fuji software for the initial rendering or use the enhance image option on LR/ACR. The latter, however, can causes problems of its own...

Dan

Real Name
    raymond

Under the circumtances this is aa terrific captue.

Stage one is - win some money! Then perhaps try Hasselblad.

I have thought about going mirrorless but the current camera market is in such a state of flux that I reconditioned my 7D Mk II instead. Do those cameras allow for a real look through viewfinder (maybe electronic) while using an external flash?

When I eventually have to purchase a new car it will mean getting equity release money on my house so perhaps I will also be able to afford a new camera as well at that time and maybe the choices will be clearer to understand. But I also have so many Canon based lenses to consider.

Real Name
    David

A real view while using external flash - oh yes, you can programme the viewfinder to be auto ISO while keeping the shot to ISO 200 or whatever to suit the flash, effectively using the viewfinder as a night sight for framing the shot in near complete darkness.

As for the Canon lenses, I've kept several of mine (notably the 100mm f2.8L macro and the 50mm f1.8) and use them with an adaptor from Fringer that maintains 100% auto focus, auto exposure, stabiliser, etc.

http://www.fringeradapter.com/canon-ef-to-fujifilm-x

The X-T3 is a brilliant camera and I'm not biassed at all....

Real Name
    Dan

A real view while using external flash - oh yes, you can programme the viewfinder to be auto ISO while keeping the shot to ISO 200 or whatever to suit the flash, effectively using the viewfinder as a night sight for framing the shot in near complete darkness.
    That's helpful. Thanks.

I too have a huge investment in Canon EF L-series lenses, which enters into my thinking about this.

Yes, that is interesting information. Just need the money now. I haven't checked my Ernie bonds yet this month so I could already be worth a million pounds. Had a £50 win last month so they know my address.