Thread: Max and his Dod

Real Name
    Daniel

Max and his Dog

To change things up a bit, a couple of days ago, I hopped on a bus and went to Mexico City to roam around and take pictures. I liked the dog and received permission for the shot. I cropped off the leg because the lower half of the image was boring. Comments welcomed
    Max and his Dod
    Last edited by escape; 28th November 2022 at 03:11 AM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Max and his Dog

There are three things in this photo, your subjects, the bench, and the busy background. Unfortunately the division between the latter two cuts right through your subjects which is not ideal. I would be tempted to have used a wider aperture to throw the background more out of focus, or you could do this in software.

The other issue is that your camera position means that the view we see is what we would see ourselves walking past a man and his dog on a bench. Buy adopting a very low stance (or even standing on the bench yourself) would create a more unusual viewpoint and lead to a more interesting image. I do understand that you may not feel comfortable doing this when the subject is a stranger.

I do like the fact that his shoes and hoody are the same colour, this tends to make our eyes explore more of the picture.

I like the dog too, very much.

Real Name
    Ole

I agree with Peter's comments I would also convert the image to black and white as I think the orange jumper dominate too much in my opinion.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    There are three things in this photo, your subjects, the bench, and the busy background. Unfortunately the division between the latter two cuts right through your subjects which is not ideal. I would be tempted to have used a wider aperture to throw the background more out of focus, or you could do this in software.

The other issue is that your camera position means that the view we see is what we would see ourselves walking past a man and his dog on a bench. Buy adopting a very low stance (or even standing on the bench yourself) would create a more unusual viewpoint and lead to a more interesting image. I do understand that you may not feel comfortable doing this when the subject is a stranger.

I do like the fact that his shoes and hoody are the same colour, this tends to make our eyes explore more of the picture.

I like the dog too, very much.
    Thank you, Peter, for commenting. I did crouch down to take an eye-level photo with the dog. Will take a look at adding some blur to the background.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Peter.

I think the comment about finding a different perspective is very important and applies to many types of photography. If you take a photo of something common from the position of a passer-by, it looks like a snapshot. This can make a huge difference in photos of pets and flowers, among many other things.

Real Name
    Daniel

The image doesn't even look like it was taken standing up. I don't understand the comments after I stated I was crouching to take the photo at eye level. What am I missing?

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    The image doesn't even look like it was taken standing up. I don't understand the comments after I stated I was crouching to take the photo at eye level. What am I missing?
    I think I figured it out. Basically, the angle of the shot is unappealing, and a different angle could have added more interest. I can view the scene in my mind's eye, and it is difficult to arrive at another angle that I would have preferred. You can only raise or lower your camera combined with moving left and right by varying degrees. On the extreme end, new and perhaps unwanted elements are brought into the scene. You can raise your camera over your head, but it could be difficult to get the dog to look straight into the lens.
    When you ask a stranger to take their photo, you intrude into their day. As a photographer, you need to make it a welcomed intrusion. I enjoy meeting people, and almost everyone I ask gives their consent. I seek to capture them just as they are. Not changing how I first saw them. Sometimes there are exceptions, and they want to pose for you. A lovely lady comes to mind that turned out to be an actress.

Real Name
    Dan

you were still looking down at them, just less than if you had been at full height. Try getting lower and see whether you like the results.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

One of the strongest photographers I know will always try to shoot from below eye level. If there is more than one subject, he will base his shooting position on the shortest subject and shot below that eye level.

The reason is psychological. Shooting from above has you visually looking down at your subjects, which diminishes their presence. When you shoot up, they are looking down and gives them a stronger visual position in the shot.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    you were still looking down at them, just less than if you had been at full height. Try getting lower and see whether you like the results.
    At my age, if I crouched any lower, I would need someone to help me up. Thank you, Dan.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    One of the strongest photographers I know will always try to shoot from below eye level. If there is more than one subject, he will base his shooting position on the shortest subject and shot below that eye level.

The reason is psychological. Shooting from above has you visually looking down at your subjects, which diminishes their presence. When you shoot up, they are looking down and gives them a stronger visual position in the shot.
    Thank you for the explanation, Manfred. Will keep that in mind next time I take a similar shot.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

At my age, if I crouched any lower, I would need someone to help me up.
    I know that feeling too !

Real Name
    Philip

At my age, if I crouched any lower, I would need someone to help me up. Thank you, Dan.
    This applies to a significant proportion of amateur photographers, including me. It is just one example of many possible scenarios in which being able to use live-view with a tilting rear screen becomes essential - Pentax please note.

Philip
    Last edited by MrB; 30th November 2022 at 04:38 AM.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    This applies to a significant proportion of amateur photographers, including me. It is just one example of many possible scenarios in which being able to use live-view with a tilting rear screen becomes essential - Pentax please note.

Philip
    Absolutely ! Using a tilted rear screen with the camera held at waist height not only helps lower the viewpoint, but also makes the photographer less obtrusive, with practice you can shoot like that and the subject will not even realise you are taking a photo.

Real Name
    Dan

I’m in the same boat: getting down and back up is more of a big deal each year. A flip screen is looking more and more attractive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I’m in the same boat: getting down and back up is more of a big deal each year. A flip screen is looking more and more attractive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The boat keeps adding passengers. Eventually, everyone gets on board.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Chataignier View Post
    Absolutely ! Using a tilted rear screen with the camera held at waist height not only helps lower the viewpoint, but also makes the photographer less obtrusive, with practice you can shoot like that and the subject will not even realise you are taking a photo.
    I am a tall guy - over six feet tall. When I shoot from eye-level, I most often am shooting down on my subject.

I am also, ancient and arthritic - so bending down or crouching is not a viable alternate for me.

Th articulating screen really helps me get the camera down to the level at which I want to shoot! The excellent Eye Auto Focus (both human and animal) of my Sony cameras, makes using the articulating screen considerably easier for me. Additionally, I have an after-market shade which helps prevent reflections on the LCD when I am shooting in bright sun.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ra&_osacat=625

OTOH: when I am shooting my dog portraits,
    Max and his Dod
    Max and his Dod
    I usually position the dog on a recliner covered with a background cloth. I sit on a roll-around office chair while shooting. This keeps my camera at the correct height and lets me position the camera without causing me any aches or pains...

BTW: When shooting dogs and people, I tend to select lenses around 105mm equivalent or longer. This reduces distortion - especially of the longer nosed dogs... and people! The above full body shot was done at 71mm on a crop sensor camera = 106mm equivalent, while the close up portrait was done at 177mm = 265mm equivalent.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 1st December 2022 at 07:15 PM.