Thread: Rain Drop Story

Real Name
    raymond

Rain Drop Story

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Rain Drop Story

Hi Raymond,

This is a difficult subject to pull off successfully, I don't consider that I have ever succeeded myself.

When I'm processing shots like this, I look at the overall image and ask myself if there's anything not 'contributing' to the composition and in this case, if it were mine, I'd lose about half the distant lower bit of the shot, that still leaves enough to give context.

The other thing I'd look at is the sharpening applied (if under your control with whatever camera it was), as this looks to have too large a radius and too much amount, this has resulted in the black and white edges around the hanging rain drops. While this does make them stand out, to my 'technical' eyes, it jars, but I can appreciate that many may not be so concerned.

The exposure looks to be good and it's also good to see you still here, shooting and sharing at CiC, I should follow your example.

Cheers,
    Dave

Real Name
    Daniel

Sometimes I like to look for new pictures in an image by looking at it from a different angle. I flipped the image upside down and liked what I saw, little domes under the sky with an internal view of the surface they retested on. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but I like it. It can be cropped to suit and works in B/W. Just my upside-down view of things.

Real Name
    Dan

An interesting shot.

Re sharpening: I'm not sure that the black edges are from oversharpening, but it is oversharpened. you can see this very clearly if you double click and look at the larger image in the lightbox. You'll see a light blue halo around the bottom of the drops, including along some of the black lines. Halos of that sort are very often a sign of oversharpening.