Thread: Street kids

Real Name
    David

Street kids

Street kids

Taken as part of a project around street kids, left to fend for themselves until parents return from work. These kids are actors, offspring of a friend. They loved being part of the project and especially getting scruffy and dirty - a long way from their normal condition. I think they learned something too.

Real Name
    Jack

Re: Street kids

I like it! Lighting is great. Works nicely as a BW.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I like the concept, but find the the car headlights overpower the scene and draw the user's attention away from the "street kids". I suspect the image would be stronger without the bright lights, including the reflection off the road surface. The kids look great.

Real Name
    Bill

Super story David. The car and street lights are a bit of a challenge photoraphically and also in regard to personal taste. I like the image as it is but perhaps try it with the street lights at the top cloned out? Also the brightness of the headlight of the rear car reduced but absolutely left in as they add to the story telling.

Real Name
    Richard

I also like this image very much - well done. However, I used Viveza control points along the street reflections and toned down the highlights. I then placed a control point on the kids and brightened them somewhat. I think that in this rendition, the main subjects (the kids) attract more interest.
    Street kids

Maybe slightly tone down the road surface brightness but I find the bright car lights suitably threatening.

Real Name
    Philip

I prefer Richard's edited version but for me the distraction is the headlamp of the second car, although the light from it on the road should remain. It would be better if that headlamp was cloned out, to make it look as though the second car was just obscured by the first.

Philip

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Both versions have merit. However the harshness of the lighting in the photographers version I think adds to the story. Street kids live in the shadows and the was no way I was going to miss seeing them. Sometimes we seek too much control of the lighting when editing and although it makes easier viewing it can easily detract from the realism of the scene.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    IIt would be better if that headlamp was cloned out, to make it look as though the second car was just obscured by the first.
    Yes the positioning of the two cars (snd because there's no obvious source to clone in) makes that well nigh impossible. I'm with Paul though - given the project brief it works well as is, although it probably wouldn't detract from the story telling if the street lights and other bright areas at the top were removed.
    Last edited by billtils; 17th December 2022 at 09:37 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

I like this in general, but I agree with Manfred, Richard, and Philip. In the original, my eyes are drawn to the headlights, which isn't where I want them to go.

it also looks to me that the focus is slightly off, slightly in front of the kids.