Thread: Software for processing image

Real Name
    Brian

Software for processing image

Hello I am retired just got my first digital camera August have taken about 2000 pictures all raw between the reader and the computer I have mistakenly deleted about half of them was putting in a folder message came up not enough space I went and got a new Mac book I deleted the folder on old computer and also deleted the pictures question is need suggestions for software for processing raw images thanks

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Software for processing image

Generally the camera manufacturer packages software that does this type of processing. Depending on the manufacturer, that can be some fairly rudimentary software and others supply a version of the highly regarded Capture One.

Adobe is the giant in the room and their Photoshop Elements is very popular. There are many other packages out there from companies like Corel, OnOne, ACDSee, Phase One (Capture One), Serif Affinity, Luminar, DxO, etc. right through to Adobe Lightroom / Photoshop (available by subscription only).

My suggestion is that you get comfortable with the software that shipped with your camera and if that suffices, why spend more? If you outgrow that, there are lots of options. I personally have been using Photoshop (with the Adobe Camera Raw for raw processing) for over 20 years and this is where most high end photographers end up. That being said, the learning curve is very long with that software, but the results in the hands of a competent user can be amazing. Raw conversion is only the first step in post-processing...

This is not the appropriate thread for answers to your question, so I have moved it to "Post Processing & Printing". More members are likely to look there and respond.

Raw Therapy is an independent bit of software designed for processing Raw images.

https://www.rawtherapee.com/

I haven't used it for some time because I joined the rather expensive Adobe system. The current Raw Therapy is quite a bit more advanced than the older version which I used.

A few years ago I had Serif Photo Plus, a forerunner of their Affinity, which was a reasonable photo editor but their Raw converter was far too basic for me. So I did my initial conversion with Raw Therapy then finished off with Photo Plus. The latest Serif Affinity probably has a much better converter but I haven't used it.

As Manfred mentioned, there are many options so your starting place will probably be to consider exactly what you want to do with your images. Large size prints to hang on your wall or internet use? Maybe show, or describe, a few examples. Which camera?

Although I use Adobe Photoshop for my photo editing (with Adobe Camera Raw for the first stage and Bridge for viewing or the moving around of photos) I don't use a lot of the available options in that package. I have tried and failed to make much sense of the other Adobe options such as Elements which I found to be too simplistic for me and Lightroom which I have never understood. Isn't there another new Adobe programme designed for basic editing to phone captured images?

Quote Originally Posted by schitz31 View Post
    ...just got my first digital camera... ...suggestions for software for processing raw images thanks
    As you are a beginner, I too recommend that you start by using the software that came with your camera. It will have enough features for you to learn the basics of RAW processing. Only after you have acquired some experience is it worth spending money on third party photo editing software.

Capture One is a wonderful raw converter, but it’s very expensive and probably too much for a beginner. I’ve found Darktable and RawTherapee to be capable, but with obscure user interfaces that make learning a chore. Take a look at Raw Power. It’s a Mac-only app; it’s only about $40 (for purchase, not subscription) with a free trial that’s not time-limited; it has a pretty traditional user interface; it was written by a guy who was integral to the design of Apple’s Aperture - a highly regarded, but now discontinued, raw developer and DAM. It’s a decent way to start and you can move on to something “stronger” from there if you want.

https://www.gentlemencoders.com/

Real Name
    Bill

I too would suggest that the best place for you to start is by using the software that came with the camera - it will (probably) be free and will get you off to a good start.

You may well be happy enough to stick with it long term but quite probably will get to the point where you want to try and "improve" your post processing capability. The problem is that there are too many programs to choose from but as far as I know all the main ones offer a free trial period so this sequence may help:

1: Get familar with your camera and processing using the software that came with it
    2: Take a hard look at what you really want from it - for example a Library (or Digital Assest Manager - DAM for short) could be a high priority if you want to keep and index a lot of your images but are not confident enough about how to use your computer to assemble something for yourself.
    3: Do you want something that does all the work for you or do you want something that lets you be in control of what you create?
    4: How do you want to pay for it - if at all? Going back to step 1 above - it cost you nothing but may have limitations so the next step would be do you want to buy into a subscription model where you are signing up for a recurring payment to be able to receive updates and in some cases to continue to use the software, or would you prefer to have an outright purchase.

Once you've worked through all that, take a look at what's on the market and sign up for free trials from the top few candidates. But a word of warning - the more advanced programs can have a steep learning curve and you may give up on what could have been a winner for you ...

Real Name
    David

All the practical options have been mentioned above, I've nothing to add to that, except to strongly reinforce the comments about learning curves. It takes a regular user years to fully master Lightroom/Photoshop and even longer if, as an occasional user, you have time to forget things between sessions. The other "professional" packages such as Afinity, DXO, Capture 1 etc are not much simpler.
    I say this not to put you off, but to point out the penalties for changing your mind. Make a choice and stick to it. All the professional packages are excellent, each has its supporters and detractors. Pick one and stick to it.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Chataignier View Post
    All the practical options have been mentioned above, I've nothing to add to that, except to strongly reinforce the comments about learning curves. It takes a regular user years to fully master Lightroom/Photoshop and even longer if, as an occasional user, you have time to forget things between sessions. The other "professional" packages such as Afinity, DXO, Capture 1 etc are not much simpler.
    I say this not to put you off, but to point out the penalties for changing your mind. Make a choice and stick to it. All the professional packages are excellent, each has its supporters and detractors. Pick one and stick to it.
    Absolutely agree David, and that would just leave the decisions on rent/buy and library/no library for him to deal with.

Real Name
    Brian

thank you i just got canon r7 see and share pictures i miss albums family's always had picture albums now they sit on chips just want to make beautiful pictures to enjoy dont have any to show yet the ones on the chip and the ones i accidentally deleted looking for a class at our community college

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    As you are a beginner, I too recommend that you start by using the software that came with your camera. It will have enough features for you to learn the basics of RAW processing. Only after you have acquired some experience is it worth spending money on third party photo editing software.
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by schitz31 View Post
    thank you i just got canon r7...
    OK, that means the image processing software that comes with your camera will be version 4 of Canon's 'Digital Photo Professional', aka 'DPP4'. If you search for:
    canon dpp tutorial
    you will get lots of hits, like this one on Canon's website, which might be a good place to start:
    There are also lots of video tutorials available.

Have fun searching and learning!

Real Name
    Brian

thank you so much