Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2023 Project 52 by Geoff F - Part 1

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: 2023 Project 52 by Geoff F - Part 1

An interesting set of photos. The second one is intriguing: there's what appears to be a doorway to nowhere at the top of the stairs! Mayhem is a catamaran but what does it do for a living?

Capturing a silvery sea is not always the easiest thing to do. The last photo works well.

Thanks for the comments. Mayhem is a commercial fishing boat which chiefly works pots for crabs and lobsters. When I retired from fishing I sold them some of my fishing gear.

Here are some more scenes of Splat Cove. Those steps go to the garden area behind the left side of this gully near that storage shed.

2023 Project 52 by Geoff F - Part 1

When photographing the steps my back was against the cliff and directly above me there was a house.

In late Victorian and Edwardian times this was a Tea Garden where well dressed gentlemen and ladies in long dresses would land, from a paddle steamer, on some rocks and struggle up a narrow rickety path to the house.

There is a partly collapsed path going down to the cove but it is very narrow and I am wary of using it when I am carrying a top heavy backpack. So when possible, subject to tides, I prefer to clamber down the side of those rocks where the paddle steamer would have landed.

During World War 2 the seaward side of the gardens was fortified with a machine gun bunker and a Bofors Gun above that.

To the left and out of sight from this angle there was a 6 ins gun which had been adapted from a first world war battleship which had been scrapped. There were two tunnels running from the gun up to an ammunition store beside the road.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 28th April 2023 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks for your comment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123