Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Computer hardware required for lightroom masking speeding

Real Name
    Philippe

Computer hardware required for lightroom masking speeding

Hi, sorry if this request was already made, but I didn't find an exact thread for my inquiry .
    I want to upgrade to a new PC (my PC is more than 10 years with some upgrades) dedicated for postprocessing RAW files with LR classic (I have the subscription plan) mostly and a little bit with PS. Not too expensive, if possible, somewhere in the middle $$, assembling it with a computer technician.
    What is required for an efficient system copping with it in 2023?
    I use masking a lot, currently I have problems mainly when working with more than one mask, the program begins to freeze for a while.
    BTW I read about putting the catalog and the program on the same disk (I already have a 1TB SSD) but if I move the catalog will LR find it? I'm not an expert with computers...
    Thanks a lot for any help.
    PhilT

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Computer hardware required for lightroom masking speeding

Here is what Adobe says about Lightroom:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc...uirements.html

Just to be complete, here is what Adobe says about Photoshop requirements.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/sy...uirements.html

Real Name
    Len

Adobe also recommends a "development sequence" for LR.
    See attached extract.......

Order of Develop operations
    The best order of Develop operations to increase performance is as follows:

1) Spot healing.
    2) Geometry corrections, such as Lens Correction profiles and Manual corrections, including keystone corrections using the Vertical slider.
    3) Global non-detail corrections, such as Exposure and White Balance. These corrections can also be done first if desired.
    4) Local corrections, such as Gradient Filter and Adjustment Brush strokes.
    5) Detail corrections, such as Noise Reduction and Sharpening.
    Note: Performing spot healing first improves the accuracy of the spot healing, and ensures the boundaries of the healed areas match the spot location.

Real Name
    Dan

Len,

Where did you find this about the order of operations? It's inconsistent with what I've read. What I've read is that the order in which you do the edits has no effect on the order in which Lightroom does the calculations, which it re-does with every new edit.

The main issue with order is doing it in way that is easier for the user. The left LR panel was designed to be in an order top to bottom that most people find helpful, although as some people have pointed out, if that's their rationale, calibration belongs near the top.

Some years ago, I tested this experimentally and posted the results here. I took one image and made a virtual copy. I did a series of edits on the original and then did the same edits in the opposite order on the virtual copy. I exported JPEGs from both. They were identical. However, I don't know whether I included any spot healing in the list of edits.

Dan

Real Name
    Len

Dan,

The information was extracted from the Adobe helpx "Optimize Lightroom Performance"

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cl....%20See%20More.

Real Name
    Dan

Len,

Thanks. The last part about spot healing is the only time I've seen reference to any results differing depending on the order of edits. I wonder whether this applies to any of the other relatively new functions' like AI-based selections. Given the context, the rest of that section seems to be about performance in the sense of speed.

Dan

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

Does it have to be a (Windows) PC? How about a last generation Mac mini with M1 chip? Unfortunately there's no Apple store in Israel, so I don't know how the pricing is like there.

An entry-level, last-gen refurbished Mac mini costs less than 450 USD here. Cost-performance wise I think it's unbeatable.

Real Name
    Dan

Philippe,

The computer I am using now has an Intel i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90 GHz with 16 MB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super video card. It's entirely adequate. Check the Adobe links above to make sure the video card meets Adobe specs. Some Photoshop features will not work if the video card doesn't meet those specifications.

As for the location of the catalog: you can put it anywhere you want. Just open Lightroom, go on the menu to File Open-catalog, and point to the new location. However, if the photos don't have the same location on the new computer, you will have to do more. For example, if they are in D:\photos on the old computer, the catalog, no matter where you put it, will expect the photos to be in D:\photos on the new computer. If you are going to put them in a differently named location, you will have to tell LR where to find them.

Dan