Thread: AI anyone ?

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

AI anyone ?

Have you tried AI ?
    Which app did you use ?

How was it like ?
    What do you recommend ?

"Bunch of several fruits including oranges on a table inside a dark room illuminated by a window on the left side and on a silver glamorous plate"

AI anyone ?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: AI anyone ?

Not tried yet. A mix of skepticism and worry that it maybe addictive....

Hello Antonio,
    Twenty years ago I entered into an e-mail correspondence with Pei Wang. Pei Wang was developing NARS [ non axiomatic reasoning systems ]. Unfortunately Pei Wang ended the correspondence. Anyway imo AI is not intelligent it is a reasoning system. There are many useful things that can be achieved with AR.
    So much depends on how words are defined. What is an 'axiom'? What does 'all' mean [ "barber paradox" naïve set theory ]? Most people are not interested in these questions. That's fair enough.

Bob

PS Why are the oranges in the image the colour orange?

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

Quote Originally Posted by BobGilbody View Post
    ...PS Why are the oranges in the image the colour orange?
    Thank you Paul and Bob for replying
    The oranges are orange colour because I asked to insert oranges in the scene.

In Réponses Photo issue 357, the French magazine published the images bellow which has been done with AI

I have tried one app but I consider to do so in others. It looks very addictive and I would like to achieve something more credible.
    I have only to decide which app to pay for before Adobe deeps more in this area.

As we know selection sky, face recognition, eye focusing point and so on, are already timid approaches of something in the next years - two ? - will be more available to the public.

These apps will mark the end of some jobs and the creation of others in smaller numbers.

I assume military use it already in advanced forms, when the drones select who to kill making this technology very appetizing.
    AI anyone ?AI anyone ?

Real Name
    Richard

I am sincerely afraid of delving into AI. I think that might get hooked and spend all of my time in front of the computer.

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    i am sincerely afraid of delving into ai. I think that might get hooked and spend all of my time in front of the computer.

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

Check this out
    arstechnica and instagram

AI anyone ?

Real Name
    David

The current batch of AI image generators are getting closer and closer to photo realistic. How that interacts with classical photography is not yet clear. If we see the photograph as a record of something, such as the work of a journalist, then while there is scope for fakes, obviously the real thing is no less useful as a result of AI. However, if we see photography as an art form, a means to generate appealing/challenging/thought-provoking or just simply beautiful images, then AI is a new and potent competitor in the field : a disruptor. Why travel to the mountains to take an art mountain landscape when you can do it at home ?

The next few years will be very interesting.

The image below was generated by AI from a very detailed description commencing : "couple celebrating new year with champagne". I specified pov, style of illustration, clothing type, age, colouration, period etc. The text was added later.

AI anyone ?
    Last edited by Chataignier; 22nd February 2023 at 12:57 PM.

Hello David,
    " obviously the real thing is no less useful as a result of AI." I find that sad. [ it's the word 'useful' I have problems with ]

"Why travel to the mountains to take an art mountain landscape when you can do it at home ?" this is sad too.

While chatting about 'King parrot' I posted that the image is not the bird. If that fact is lost then we are.

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_you_live_in_interesting_times"

I might be over thinking this but I fear I'm not.

Bob

BTW science can only provide models of reality [ whatever that is ].

The following is taken from Wittgenstein’s notebooks 1914-1916:
    The urge towards the mystical comes of the non-satisfaction of our wishes by science. We
    feel that even if all possible scientific questions are answered our problem is still not
    touched at all. Of course in that case there are no questions any more; and that is the
    answer.

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

€ David -
    Quote Originally Posted by Chataignier View Post
    The next few years will be very interesting.
    The image below was generated by AI from a very detailed description commencing : "couple celebrating new year with champagne". I specified pov, style of illustration, clothing type, age, colouration, period etc. The text was added later.
    AI anyone ?
    Thank you for commenting David !
    Which app did you use for this example ?

@ Bob - Thank you Bob for your comment !
    Cheers !

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Is the profession of graphic design now not an option as a career? It will certainly have a major impact. True artistic creativity cannot be replaced but images required for advertising and promotional material would seem to be available to those with a good imagination but little technical artistic skill.

This chit chat has got me thinking about map making. Maps are important.
    When I was going off on tangents some years ago I became interested in the correspondence between Lambert and Gauss. [ Euler was a cartographer. https://hal.science/hal-03873532 ] Prior to that I read about the triangular trade Bristol-Portugal-Iceland while doing economic history. [ I failed that course, did a hit job on a PhD thesis done by a guy during WW2 about Newton's time as boss of the mint and his 'great recoinage' which might have upset the apple cart. Also mapped [ no pun intended ] suffrage to economic development in the UK. ] I also read up on Henry the Navigator. Why would Henry tell the rest of Europe things that would reduce his chances of making a dollar? Non of this was part of the course but then I didn't give a toss.
    Anyway it might be an interesting project to compare cartography with the development of 'photography'. I'm to old to bother but someone else might do it.

Gawd I'm going senile. It wasn't Lambert Gauss it was Lambert Kant. Sorry.
    Last edited by BobGilbody; 23rd February 2023 at 01:19 AM.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Is the profession of graphic design now not an option as a career? It will certainly have a major impact. True artistic creativity cannot be replaced but images required for advertising and promotional material would seem to be available to those with a good imagination but little technical artistic skill.
    I fear you are right. The detailed page make up and integration of text (whether for print or screen) will still need to be done by someone but the creative bit, conception and illustration, will probably be de-skilled by AI.

Real Name
    David

@Antonio : I used Midjourney

Real Name
    Keith Allen

For me photography is getting out-and-about and actually doing it and not sitting in front of a computer playing around with AI. The only AI programs I do use are Topaz Denoise, Sharpen and Gigapixel. I understand that for some competitions even Topaz Denoise is banned (The Audubon bird photography comp). Not that I can enter this I live own the UK.

Real Name
    Philip

It seems fine if AI is part of the toolkit used to enhance an image captured in a camera - post-processing tools have always been used in photography. However, no-one must claim that an image wholly created by AI is a photograph - rather it belongs to its own unique and valid branch of art.

Philip

Real Name
    Len

I concur with Phillip on this score.....

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

All valid contributions to something that will affect photography, graphic design and what not in the future.

Cheers !

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
    For me photography is getting out-and-about and actually doing it and not sitting in front of a computer playing around with AI. The only AI programs I do use are Topaz Denoise, Sharpen and Gigapixel. I understand that for some competitions even Topaz Denoise is banned (The Audubon bird photography comp). Not that I can enter this I live own the UK.
    I agree, AI generated images are not photography, but AI is an interesting new branch of image creation which is bound to have a major effect on the visual arts.

Meanwhile, in a recent big photo competition:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65296763

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast