Thread: Curbside Car Wash

Real Name
    Daniel

Curbside Car Wash

I took this a couple of years ago in the Bronx. I had to do a tight crop to remove lots of severe glare and adjust what was left. Comments welcomed.

Curbside Car Wash

Real Name
    Martin

Re: Curbside Car Wash

I like this image and I like the tangled hose. It is almost an "industrial" sized hose for the job of washing cars.
    The subject is engaged with the camera and he "pops" from the image mainly due to the fact that the remainder of the image has been desaturated. Maybe bring a tinge of colour back into the image so that it doesn't contrast quite as much.
    An interesting photo. Well done.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Wandjina View Post
    I like this image and I like the tangled hose. It is almost an "industrial" sized hose for the job of washing cars.
    The subject is engaged with the camera and he "pops" from the image mainly due to the fact that the remainder of the image has been desaturated. Maybe bring a tinge of colour back into the image so that it doesn't contrast quite as much.
    An interesting photo. Well done.
    Thank you, Martin. I will try a hint of saturation in the background. I added the original so that you can see more of the area. The hose is connected to the hydrant with an adapter. Did you notice the second person sleeping in a chair behind the car?

Curbside Car Wash

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    Did you notice the second person sleeping in a chair behind the car?
    I saw the seat but I didn't realise there was a person in it. My attention was on the main subject
    Last edited by Wandjina; 28th March 2023 at 11:11 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Usually, I find this technique (desaturating all but a subject) artificial, but in this case, I think it works very well. Desaturating and cropping together to a very good job of getting rid of peripheral distractions.

I have one minor suggestion: I'd burn the very bright areas around the periphery, like his shoes and the bright area on the sidewalk behind him. They pull the eye a bit.

There is a problem with his seriously deformed left arm in the first image.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Usually, I find this technique (desaturating all but a subject) artificial, but in this case, I think it works very well. Desaturating and cropping together to a very good job of getting rid of peripheral distractions.

I have one minor suggestion: I'd burn the very bright areas around the periphery, like his shoes and the bright area on the sidewalk behind him. They pull the eye a bit.
    Thank you, Dan. Removing the color from the background also removes the believability of the image, one of the key factors of a strong image. I see it more as artistic expression. Sometimes it does work for some, but for others never. Let the viewer decide and do what works for you as you navigate your own creativity and objectives.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I do like the concept and suspect that you might want to try a more subtle approach to desaturation. Many of the colours are already quite neutral; the road, sidewalk as well as the car and truck, etc. A more subtle approach often works more effectively.

I use desaturation as a creative tool in a lot of my work, but tend to apply it subtly on specific colour channels and areas of the image, rather than a global approach.

I agree with Geoff; whatever has happened to his arm looks rather strange and ends up being rather distracting.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks to all for your comments. The subject was globally adjusted. I will mask and tone down the shoes and areas suggested by Dan. The infamous distorted arm is the result of a layer mask on the hood of the car that was not created precisely. I will also explore Manfreds and Martins's suggestions for the background. Your viewpoints and observations were much appreciated.

Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    I will also explore Manfreds and Martins's suggestions for the background. Your viewpoints and observations were much appreciated.
    That's what makes this site a great site!
    The viewpoints and advise you receive are honest, thoughtful & kind.
    Thank you for sharing.
    I like the image and at times I struggle with street photography.