Thread: Photoshop flashing screen is apparently a well known issue

Real Name
    David

Photoshop flashing screen is apparently a well known issue

Since the lastest Photoshop upgrade I found that I got a rapidly flashing screen when opening an image from Lightroom Classic. As it happened each time I tried with different files, I attempted to open a different file directly in Photoshop and the same behaviour occurred. It would be a nightmare for an epilepsy sufferrer as it is far worse than photographers flashes in TV programmes that carry advance warning.

Apparently it is a well know bug that has been around for many years, but I have never experienced this before.

The solution I found via a web search was to go Edit/Preferences/Performance and untick the box "Use Graphics Processor". Then all was well again.

How strange that (a) Adobe has not resolved this issue and (b) it has suddenly occurred on a PC that I have used for over 5 years and which otherwise is functioning very well.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Photoshop flashing screen is apparently a well known issue

David - unless your graphics processor is incompatible with Photoshop, there is no reason to not use it and plenty of reasons to enable that functionality. It speeds up some operations and enables certain functionality that only runs with the graphics processor enabled.

That suggests that fixing that "bug" in the non-graphics mode is likely not a priority for Adobe, as the fix is to do what you have done.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I can open an image in PS from LR without flashing screen.

It is likely to be a problem with your hardware/software. Not a bug

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    David - unless your graphics processor is incompatible with Photoshop, there is no reason to not use it and plenty of reasons to enable that functionality. It speeds up some operations and enables certain functionality that only runs with the graphics processor enabled.
    Indeed, and for 5 years the graphics processor has been happily being used; but the flashing screen only stopped when I amended the preferences so as not to use the graphics processor.

I suppose it is possible that the graphics card is no longer compatible.

(Edit: I have since tried ticking the "USe graphics processor" box again and the issue still occured.)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Indeed, and for 5 years the graphics processor has been happily being used; but the flashing screen only stopped when I amended the preferences so as not to use the graphics processor.

I suppose it is possible that the graphics card is no longer compatible.

(Edit: I have since tried ticking the "USe graphics processor" box again and the issue still occured.)
    Unfortunately, Adobe (and other software manufacturers) have a habit of changing the minimum specs for their products. That has included only supporting the newest operating systems as well as upping the recommended hardware specs. In the past that has been the sole reason I updated my hardware and / or operating system.

I am going to have to update my main computer in the not too distant future because it is hitting the limits. I use Adobe Premiere Pro in some of my work and the CPU and graphics card are getting too long in the tooth to run that software effectively. My graphics card is no longer supported, from what I can tell (AMD no longer updates the drivers), so I expect it to break sooner than later...