Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Splash! - Still Life in Motion - Ice cube dropping into a glass of water

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Splash! - Still Life in Motion - Ice cube dropping into a glass of water

I've picked up a MIOPS trigger and have been testing its optical triggering properties (breaking the beam of a laser pointer) when I dropped a plastic ice cube into a glass of water.

The concept has merit, but I have more work to do with the technique to refine it...,

Last edited by Manfred M; 30th April 2023 at 10:01 PM.

Real Name
    David

Re: Splash! - Still Life in Motion - Ice cube dropping into a glass of water

Splendid lighting as usual Manfred - but there is a brown line following the stem of the glass on the left, something not quite right there ?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Fixed. I noticed that too after I uploaded.

As this was primarily a test / proof of concept image, it is not 100% finished and print ready. There is still a lot of dust that needs to be cleaned up as well. You can see that if you view in Lightbox mode.

Partial processing is an approach I often use when I try out new ideas.

Real Name
    Ole

I think there is too much going on in this image. The middle glass in the bottom has a part of the base of the glass behind it showing. The glasses are bouncing off each other so that meaningful separation becomes impossible.

I hope you can pull this off. Very difficult to get the colours right in my view given the glasses are overlapping each other.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    I think there is too much going on in this image. The middle glass in the bottom has a part of the base of the glass behind it showing. The glasses are bouncing off each other so that meaningful separation becomes impossible.

I hope you can pull this off. Very difficult to get the colours right in my view given the glasses are overlapping each other.
    Cheers Ole
    +1 to what Ole says. However it's the first we've seen from the new toy and I look forward to more once you become more familiar with the rig.

Real Name
    Dan

I also agree with Ole. It’s not clear where the eye should go, and mine keeps going to the top circle rather than he ice cube. But an interesting exercise, and I look forward to what you do with the new tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for the comments. You were all reading the image much the way I was. I find that the setup is too busy and it detracts from the "splash".

My testing is now moving in this direction... I think this is more on the track I need to be going, but I'm not there yet.

This type of photography is time consuming and messy!

Real Name
    Ole

Love the direction here.

Real Name
    Bill

As expected, much better!

The reflection at the bottom looks strange (and a personal remark, not a critique, the colours don't work for me).