Thread: Daffodils

Real Name
    André

Daffodils

A bouquet of daffodils from one of my flowerbeds. The bouquet was backlit against a dark but not completely black background.

Daffodils

As usual C & c are welcomed.

Re: Daffodils

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    A bouquet of daffodils from one of my flowerbeds. The bouquet was backlit against a dark but not completely black background.

Daffodils

As usual C & c are welcomed.
    I like it, it's well lit, I can even accept the shy flower image left. I think the only improvement (to my eye) would have been to include the entire vase

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    I like it, it's well lit, I can even accept the shy flower image left. I think the only improvement (to my eye) would have been to include the entire vase
    Thank you,

I agree that I should not have cut the vase. Unfortunately, it can't be helped now . I don't understand what you mean by " the shy flower image left". Could you elaborate?

Thank you,

I agree that I should not have cut the vase. Unfortunately, it can't be helped now . I don't understand what you mean by " the shy flower image left". Could you elaborate?
    all of the flowers are nicely grouped together except for the one on the left, which is turned away from the camera and a bit removed from the group...shy. In fact that one flower kinda makes the image because of its placement and position.

with the complete vase in the image I think the image would have been perfect, it's wonderfully backlit, the burlap and dark background all work together and it would be a definite wall hanger for me

plus, the purple and green showing through the vase add a perfect splash of unrelated color

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    all of the flowers are nicely grouped together except for the one on the left, which is turned away from the camera and a bit removed from the group...shy. In fact that one flower kinda makes the image because of its placement and position.

with the complete vase in the image I think the image would have been perfect, it's wonderfully backlit, the burlap and dark background all work together and it would be a definite wall hanger for me

plus, the purple and green showing through the vase add a perfect splash of unrelated color
    What an imaginative way to refer to a flower! I will have to remember that.
    Keeping in mind that we are talking about personal preferences, I tried removing the flower but found that it left the picture unbalanced. I also found that the bouquet looked better with it facing backward. I don't think that I could explain why.
    As for the setup, the background is a piece of burlap draped over an opaque board. It is dark because it too is lit from the back so the side facing the camera did not get much light. The blur is a result of using an opening of f/4 with the bouquet much closer to the camera than the background. I focus stacked several shots to get the depth of field to encompass the whole bouquet.

Real Name
    Dan

I like this, and I am not bothered by the flower on the left. I don't think the image is unbalanced as it stands.

I might tone down the brightest areas just a wee amount--maybe just drop the output white point a little bit. I would play with only a very small amount, since the backlighting contrast is part of the point of the image.

What an imaginative way to refer to a flower! I will have to remember that.
    Keeping in mind that we are talking about personal preferences, I tried removing the flower but found that it left the picture unbalanced. I also found that the bouquet looked better with it facing backward. I don't think that I could explain why.
    As for the setup, the background is a piece of burlap draped over an opaque board. It is dark because it too is lit from the back so the side facing the camera did not get much light. The blur is a result of using an opening of f/4 with the bouquet much closer to the camera than the background. I focus stacked several shots to get the depth of field to encompass the whole bouquet.
    I agree that removing that flower wouldn't work, and while it could have been 're-inserted' into the bunch I do agree that as it stands, it's kinda what makes the image work. If it were mine, I'd title it 'Shy' and I think anyone looking at it would understand it.