Thread: Riedel + Bottle

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Riedel + Bottle

This is the last image I did before I started introducing smoke into my images.

I could not get the shapes of the glassware from my usual source, so I bought a couple of pricey glasses made by the Austrian glassmaker Riedel. The martini glass and port wine glass are accompanied by an empty gin bottle and the usual glass balls.

This is the last of the three pieces that I have made for a show that starts in mid-October. They should be going to the framer later this week for delivery back to me by the end of August (summer shutdown by suppliers delays things by a few weeks).

Riedel + Bottle

Real Name
    Bill

Re: Riedel + Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    ... so I bought a couple of pricey glasses made by the Austrian glassmaker Riedel. The martini glass and port wine glass are accompanied by an empty gin bottle and the usual glass balls.

This is the last of the three pieces that I have made for a show that starts in mid-October. They should be going to the framer later this week for delivery back to me by the end of August
    The composition is super in this one, but I remain unconvinced about the coloured lighting. For example, here the left edge of the right hand glass (as viewed) is invisible, and we have a clear defining horizontal line between table and background in the left side but not the right. The brighter lighting in the left side pulls the eye away from the glassware.

PS: Entirely irrational but I am a fan of Riedel and it makes the wine taste better

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    The composition is super in this one, but I remain unconvinced about the coloured lighting. For example, here the left edge of the right hand glass (as viewed) is invisible, and we have a clear defining horizontal line between table and background in the left side but not the right. The brighter lighting in the left side pulls the eye away from the glassware.

PS: Entirely irrational but I am a fan of Riedel and it makes the wine taste better

Thanks Bill - As this was made as a print, I went back and checked how it looked there. Both issue of the edge of the glass and the separation between the horizontal and vertical edges is noticeable there as well. I suspect this is more of a screen versus print issue.

As I am looking at entering this image in a digital image competition, I will go back and do a bit more retouching on this shot. The closing date isn't until November, so I do have some time.

Real Name
    David

What Bill says is true, but it's a great image, I would be delighted if I had produced it.

As for fine glassware, I'm married to a lady who breaks at least one plate or glass every week. I buy cheap glasses at the supermarket in batches of 12.

Real Name
    Ole

I, also, agree with Bill. If corrected this is going to be a stunning image in my opinion.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Okay - I think this is what everyone was suggesting, plus a few other small tweaks along the way...

Riedel + Bottle

The changes can be seen by opening the image in Lightbox and toggling between the two versions.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 18th July 2023 at 03:16 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Excellent work Manfred, I admire your determination to create the end product for display, well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Bill

Looks good Manfred!

Real Name
    Ole

The glass on the right looks much better. I think this is a winner.
    Cheers Ole