Thread: Does it work for you??

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Does it work for you??

Dear fellows,

I took some shots of my mom's glass flower object, as I thought it was worth a try. I would like your views on this. Comments are welcomed, as always.

Does it work for you??

Regards,

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Does it work for you??

I like the concept, but I think the shot needs a bit of refining to bring more presence to the transparent areas and some local exposure adjustment to the red and yellow areas. I spent a few minutes reworking the shot, much in the same way I handle my own back-lit glass images.

Does it work for you??

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I like the concept, but I think the shot needs a bit of refining to bring more presence to the transparent areas and some local exposure adjustment to the red and yellow areas. I spent a few minutes reworking the shot, much in the same way I handle my own back-lit glass images.

Does it work for you??
    Hi, Manfred. Thanks for your valuable feedback. I follow your glass images and love them all. With regards to your edit, I really think the square crop works better, as the right and left "blank" parts in my original crop were not adding any interest. Regards,

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

No problem, Otavio. One of the issues with back-lighting is that there is a lot of bright and potentially distracting background in the image, so creating an appropriate framing is important.

The other part that is important is to create a strong visual flow and balance in the image. The clear glass "stem" needs to have visual balance with the flowers, so darkening them up slightly is where I started this image. The dark red parts of the "flowers" looked like they needed more "life", so I brightened up the reds.

All of this is subjective and personal taste, but you need to have good visual balance for the image to be effective and unfortunately, the only way to do this is to spend some time post-processing to bring that out.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    No problem, Otavio. One of the issues with back-lighting is that there is a lot of bright and potentially distracting background in the image, so creating an appropriate framing is important.

The other part that is important is to create a strong visual flow and balance in the image. The clear glass "stem" needs to have visual balance with the flowers, so darkening them up slightly is where I started this image. The dark red parts of the "flowers" looked like they needed more "life", so I brightened up the reds.

All of this is subjective and personal taste, but you need to have good visual balance for the image to be effective and unfortunately, the only way to do this is to spend some time post-processing to bring that out.
    Thanks, again, for sharing these important tips. Regards.