Thread: Old Steel Plant

Real Name
    Daniel

Old Steel Plant

I posted a couple of photos of the steel mill a year ago. I found this one going through my photos. I cropped out a fence across the foreground and not much else. I thought the other images I had posted were stronger. I will be going offline for several days, so I might not respond to comments for a while. We have a hurricane heading our way. I hope the cabin holds up.

Old Steel Plant

Re: Old Steel Plant

Without the digger I think it might have been a bit bland, but that machine is in a perfect position and really makes the scene for me.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Without the digger I think it might have been a bit bland, but that machine is in a perfect position and really makes the scene for me.
    Interesting, Geoff. Thank you for sharing your viewpoint.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I like the overall image here, Daniel, but find that the sky and the foreground are quite bright and distracting. I also agree with Geoff that the backhoe really makes this shot and the rest of the foreground and background help add to the context here.

Burning down and careful cropping can eliminate those distracting elements and put more focus on the backhoe.

Old Steel Plant

Based on the hurricane comments, I assume you are now in Florida. Good luck on getting through what is heading your way later this week.

Real Name
    Bill

+1 to Manfred's edit. Not only does it deal with the sky issue, the important yellow truck is now a more appropriate size,

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I like the overall image here, Daniel, but find that the sky and the foreground are quite bright and distracting. I also agree with Geoff that the backhoe really makes this shot and the rest of the foreground and background help add to the context here.

Burning down and careful cropping can eliminate those distracting elements and put more focus on the backhoe

Based on the hurricane comments, I assume you are now in Florida. Good luck on getting through what is heading your way later this week.
    Thank you, Manfred, for your improvements to my image and your good wishes. I was at the cabin when it took a direct hit from the hurricane. It was very intense. Happily, the cabin survived unscathed. Lots of trees fell, one landing inches from the house.