Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2023 Project 52 by Geoff F - Part 3

Re: 2023 Project 52 by Geoff F - Part 3

Thanks for the comment, Bruce.

With the red boat I suspect it has become bow heavy which is making the boat tip downwards as it grounds. Probably a build up of rain water which runs towards the bow as the boat grounds. But there is a potential risk with this type of mooring. If the boat repeatedly turns in the same direction the mooring chain can become twisted and shortened. The usual practice is to incorporate a swivel into the chain to overcome this potential problem. I normally used two swivels, one below the buoy and one between the buoy and boat. I have know boats to sink as a direct result of a twisted mooring chain which held the boat down as the tide rose.

That area is a river estuary and the location is well up the estuary so the boats tend to be less well cared for than those which moor closer to the harbour entrance.

Real Name
    David

Your shot of the lady speaker using on-camera flash could have been better lit by bounced flash. Direct on-camera flash produces harsh light and unattractive shadows, a cobra directed towards the ceiling would be a lot nicer. White ceilings are ideal of course, but even coloured ceilings can be used if you correct the white balance in PP.

I have previously tried the bounced flash idea at that location, David, but it isn't a straight forward plain ceiling. There are cross beams which tend to create uneven bounce levels.

Generally speaking, I am wary of using flash bounce on this type of quick grab shot situations with a moving subject. Too often, my flash angle has resulted in the main flash area being behind the subject which results in a dark face. Static subjects, including posed people scenes, where several test shots can be used to find the correct angle, can give good results.

So I normally resort to treating flashed quick shots of people in the same way as shots of wildlife or botanical subjects. Manually set the camera to average settings for the scene then adjust the flash output compensation as required. Typical camera settings would be 1/200 (unless using high speed flash) Iso 400 and aperture between 6.3 and 8. I find that some flash compensation is essential but after a test shot has been tried the compensation can usually be used for all subsequent shots. Even with slight quality reduction I normally get better results this way.

I have noticed some professional journalists using the old Stofen (or similar) flash difflectors on an upward facing flash for outdoor shots of people. I had occasionally used that technique with the old style fixed output flashes but I find it to be rather unnecessary with the modern variable output flash units. Although I suppose it might be an idea when you are close to your subject.

Another drab day.

Just a quick shot attempting to capture the present spell of weather, from my garden. Windy and cloudy but with a few brief localised glimpses of brightness.

2023 Project 52 by Geoff F - Part 3

7D with Canon 24-105 lens. 1/640 F11 Iso 320. Merge of two shots.

Arnold guarding the door - just a fun shot.

7D with Canon 24-105 lens. 1/200 F6.3 Iso 400. Merge of two bracketed exposures on a dull day.

I won Arnold 30 years ago by guessing his name.

It was a charity fund raiser in my local pub and all the sensible names for a dragon had already been taken. So I paid my £1 entry and guessed Arnold, which was correct.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Arnold guarding the door - just a fun shot.

7D with Canon 24-105 lens. 1/200 F6.3 Iso 400. Merge of two bracketed exposures on a dull day.

I won Arnold 30 years ago by guessing his name.

It was a charity fund raiser in my local pub and all the sensible names for a dragon had already been taken. So I paid my £1 entry and guessed Arnold, which was correct.
    Congratulations! And it seems that Arnold has earned his keep by guarding the door.

One more to finish off the year. I was doing my bit for the New Year's Day Plant Survey on a dull and windy day. Nine species found in flower at the wrong time of the year. Soon afterwards, it started raining so I turned around and went home.

Although the conditions were against me I decided to have a go at this scene anyway.

7D with Canon 24-105 lens. 1/125 F8 Iso 400. Merge of two bracketed exposures.

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, the photo in post #47 does a good job of capturing the feel of the day -- windy and limited visibility.

Will you be starting a new thread next year (tomorrow!).

Real Name
    David

Doubtless, it would look more welcoming in sunny weather, but the weather you have captured has its own rugged appeal too.

Thanks for the comments. I added a little bit of brightness and saturation to the image but thought that going any further would lose the dismal gloom of the day

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, are you planning to do a 2024 Project?

I was unsure what to do this year, Bruce, but a little bit of sunshine eventually tempted me outside. So I have started another week photo thread for 2024.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I was unsure what to do this year, Bruce, but a little bit of sunshine eventually tempted me outside. So I have started another week photo thread for 2024.
    Good!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123