Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prickly Pear

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Prickly Pear

Comments welcomed.

(I used to post a lot on this site. I have been away for a while. I look forward to again participating.)

Karm Redland
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Prickly Pear

On my monitor, the grass seems to have a magenta cast. Is it my system or is that how it is?

Real Name
    André

This is a nice picture. You might consider cropping some of the foreground grass to put more emphasis the cactus.
    I would have liked to see a larger picture which can be done by hosting it on a web site and inserting a link to it.

Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    On my monitor, the grass seems to have a magenta cast. Is it my system or is that how it is?

I'm using a Mac Pro with a 16-inch screen. At least on my screen, I don't see a magenta cast. Sorry stuck.

Karm

Round Tuit, I'll try your suggestion on its crop. I posted a medium sized image. I'll try a larger version.

Karm

The grass has a purplish/magenta colour but I assume that is the natural colour (not green) because the white clouds look perfectly OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    The grass has a purplish/magenta colour but I assume that is the natural colour (not green) because the white clouds look perfectly OK.
    So it's not just me, as that's exactly what I see. The grass doesn't look natural to me.

What colour would you say the 'bark' / stem of the cactus is? I think it also has an unnatural magenta cast. I'd expect it, and the grass, to be more of a brown colour.

Real Name
    Bill

Karm - it wouldn't be a composite by any chance?

Real Name
    Dan

I downloaded the small one into Photoshop. Using the information panel to get information about the whitest parts of the clouds, I couldn't find any sign of a magenta color cast. I then opened it in ACR and used the eyedropper on the densest parts of the clouds to reset WB. In most cases, it slightly increased magenta, but by a trivial amount. However, that all assumes that the clouds are neutral, which they may not be.

So I simply shifted the tint from magenta toward green by a small amount, -20 on the photoshop scale. This made the grass look much more natural, and the rest looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    ...I couldn't find any sign of a magenta color cast... ...I simply shifted the tint from magenta toward green by a small amount, -20 on the photoshop scale. This made the grass look much more natural, and the rest looks fine.
    My mention of a magenta cast was probably the wrong expression, since the magenta I see is not acrss the whole image, it's only in the grass and cactus stem. I can fix it in DxO PhotoLab 5 by using the eyedropper on the HSL wheel to select the colour of the grass and then shifting it slightly towards green. PL gives no numbers on the HSL wheel so I can't quantify this shift. Alternatively, if I use Affinity Photo 2 and add a HSL adjustment layer and again pick the grass colour, then a shift to the green of about 6.5-7.0degrees corrects things.

Real Name
    Dan

My mention of a magenta cast was probably the wrong expression, since the magenta I see is not acrss the whole image, it's only in the grass and cactus stem. I can fix it in DxO PhotoLab 5 by using the eyedropper on the HSL wheel to select the colour of the grass and then shifting it slightly towards green. PL gives no numbers on the HSL wheel so I can't quantify this shift. Alternatively, if I use Affinity Photo 2 and add a HSL adjustment layer and again pick the grass colour, then a shift to the green of about 6.5-7.0degrees corrects things.
    I think it would be very odd for only part of an image to have a color cast, as a color cast usually arises from an error in rendering the raw file (an incorrect white balance). However, a slight cast might not be noticeable in some areas. That seems to have been the case with this image. Making a global shift toward green made the grass look different, but the sky wasn't changed noticeably. It might show up in an A/B comparison, but it looks natural to me either way.

It depends on the camera, of course, but I find that AWB on my cameras is usually pretty close in situations like this image.

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I think it would be very odd for only part of an image to have a color cast, as a color cast usually arises from an error in rendering the raw file (an incorrect white balance). However, a slight cast might not be noticeable in some areas. That seems to have been the case with this image. Making a global shift toward green made the grass look different, but the sky wasn't changed noticeably. It might show up in an A/B comparison, but it looks natural to me either way.

It depends on the camera, of course, but I find that AWB on my cameras is usually pretty close in situations like this image.

I truly appreciate the detailed evaluation of this image. I usually do not try to reproduce what I see with a photograph. For me, a photographic image is the starting point of trying to produce something artistic. I developed this image so that it appeals to me. I am completely open to being told my image suffers from various defects. In this case, I will adjust the amount of magenta in it and see if I like it better. If I do I will repost the image. Again, thanks for viewing.

Karm

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    ...a photographic image is the starting point of trying to produce something artistic...
    In which case my observation that the grass appears to be an unnatural colour is not relevant.

stuck, the grass was dry and had a straw-like quality and the cactus was a flat green. I hyped up the green and I enhanced the color of the grass.

karm

...I enhanced the color of the grass.
    I'm curious, can you share how you did that? Did you increase saturation and/or vibrance? Do something else?

I'm curious, can you share how you did that? Did you increase saturation and/or vibrance? Do something else?
    Hey, stuck, I mostly use Lightroom and Nik products. Both have various ways of coloring images that involve hue, saturation, and luminance. Lightroom now provides many ways to color an image. In particular, Lightroom's Color Grading tools.

karm

...Lightroom now provides many ways to color an image...
    Yes, I realise that, so was it Lightroom's colour grading tool that you used to, "enhance the color of the grass"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast