Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moth

Real Name
    David

Moth

A very compliant moth resting on our interior wall so the background is very plain and uninteresting.

The image was focus stacked from exposures taken mounted on a tripod. Although shot with a macro lens, the image is also cropped as I could not position the tripod any closer.

Moth

Re: Moth

Maybe a Willow Beauty? I have been seeing a few of them recently. But the markings are a bit worn and there are several similar species.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Maybe a Willow Beauty? I have been seeing a few of them recently. But the markings are a bit worn and there are several similar species.
    Thank you for a potential identification, Geoff. The seemingly worn markings may simply result from my poor technique (both capture and stacking!)

Last night we were visited by a beautiful silvery moth with pale gold along the wing edges. Unfortunately I have no photo of that one.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi David,

It is a good shot, but for me it feels a bit 'one dimensional'.

Please don't view this as criticism, in stacking, you've already taken a step beyond my experience in such photography, instead I merely write the below as an exploration of what might have been possible. However, not knowing the physical set up of your walls, windows or lighting, it is equally possible that nothing I suggest below would have been possible.

I find with shooting almost any kind of subject, but especially wildlife or pets, it is best to start quickly from afar, so the moment that made us want to take the photo is captured. But then try to improve the shot, typically for me this will be checking focus, re-framing to reduce background distractions (or slowly getting closer, as you did) and altering the lighting. It is the latter aspect which could have helped here, if possible.

Of course I appreciate that simply adding a more powerful key light would be instantly counter-productive, since it would likely result in the literal separation for the subject from the surface! (and would send me running for cover)

The only other idea therefore would be to try to reduce the flatness of the lighting by shading or blocking how the light falls from one side, ideally the LHS - perhaps closing a blind or curtain, or, at greater risk, introducing something to block it.

It's just a thought and I hope it helps someone, somewhere, someday.

Well done, Dave

There are usually just two reasons for photographing animals and particularly insects. One is for a nice looking general scene and the other is for identification; in which case a rather 'flat' looking subject, displaying all the relevant parts, is required.

Not sure of your second moth identification, David, but here is one which I caught in a moth trap a couple of days ago. It is a merge of three focus points.

Moth

It is a Box-tree Moth and a variation on the normal form which has a silvery white middle area. They look attractive but their caterpillars are extremely devastating to box trees and hedges.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    There are usually just two reasons for photographing animals and particularly insects. One is for a nice looking general scene and the other is for identification; in which case a rather 'flat' looking subject, displaying all the relevant parts, is required.

Not sure of your second moth identification, David, but here is one which I caught in a moth trap a couple of days ago. It is a merge of three focus points.

Moth

It is a Box-tree Moth and a variation on the normal form which has a silvery white middle area. They look attractive but their caterpillars are extremely devastating to box trees and hedges.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

I find the first moth image posted to be highly decorative. It appears to me to be what a moth fossil would look like if one existed (maybe they do exist and I just haven't seen one).

Karm

Real Name
    David

Many thanks for your comments Dave.

My reaction was also that the image was very one dimensional, but with the wings resting flat on the wall, perhaps better lighting may not have added much depth. I should have tried harder.

Yes, I took a quick close shot first. It was hand held and went into the bin! So did a few more.

As the moth was unmoved by those attempts, which were taken closer to the subject, I decided to find my tripod and try focus stacking. Happily, the depth of field was greater with the tripod because I could not get as close, hence the necessity to crop.

Even so, the DOF was very limited and I can see why people use focusing rails. I should investigate these if I am to acheive worthwhile results with the macro lens. I should also make up some white cards from mountboard offcuts and have those handy. I am definitely learning from my early forays into macro.

Real Name
    David

Well Geoff, the first reason did not apply as the surroundings lacked any interest.

The second reason is of interest as I would not have been able to identify it, so your earlier post was helpful.

But the real reason for taking the photo was simply because the subject was there; it was an opportunity to practice.

The result was disappointing on a number of levels, which I don't need to enumerate, but it was a worthwhile real life excercise that has a number lessons for me. As is so often the case, theory and practice are worlds apart!

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    ...It appears to me to be what a moth fossil would look like if one existed (maybe they do exist and I just haven't seen one).
    Thank you for commenting Karm. I can see what you mean now you mention it!