Thread: Light and shade

Real Name
    David

Light and shade

My favourite model (who prefers not to be identified as she is a medical professional) lit by a crack in the shutters. From a shoot in a local château.

Light and shade

Full length version :

Light and shade

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Light and shade

David - while the image is well executed, what bothers me a little is that the lighting style (hard and strong contrast) and the model (feminine in alluring dress) seem out of step.

In my view, the lighting design in an image needs to match the subject. Here, a softer, lower lighting ratio lighting solution would seem more appropriate to me. If your model were an athlete (male or female), right after competing in an event, hot and lots of perspiration, I would feel that this type of lighting would work better.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 20th October 2023 at 10:53 AM.

Real Name
    David

Had I planned the shot I think I would have chosen softer light as you say, but this was an opportunistic shot, we were working on other things and the light from the shutter appealed. The theme for the shoot was Cabaret, more shots to follow, you'll see what I mean.

Real Name
    Ole

Harsh lighting is perfect in street photography but not so in figure photography in my view.

Perhaps open up the shadows a bit and reduce the highlights will improve the images. That is only my opinion though.
    Cheers Ole