Thread: Fire Storm

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Fire Storm

My mentor suggested I try something other than spheres, so I picked up some rectangular prism, a pyramid and a cube to see if I could get something interesting out of them...

The "thought" behind this image is a view of Dante's Inferno, shot by the Hubble or James Web space telescope. The smoke reminds me of some of the shots of nebulae taken by these instruments

Fire Storm
    Last edited by Manfred M; 12th November 2023 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Updated text and image

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Fire Storm

A couple more. These are prototypes for a planned show at a gallery in April / May 2024. These are more nebulous than my usual work and I'm not really loving them, but on the other hand, I'm not curating the show either...

Another one I call City on Fire.

Fire Storm

And the Blue & Green Planet

Fire Storm

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've re-scaled the first image to give make it smaller against the background smoke.

I think I like the approach and will be looking at having more smoke and less structure to these types of images. What is even better, in my view, most of the colours are in gamut on Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta paper, which has become my "go to" paper for higher end prints.

Fire Storm

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

This is the setup shown in the image. Fog machine sitting beside the camera and the glass shapes sitting on the black plexiglas. My laptop (I shoot tethered) and the translucent plexiglas that is backlit can also be see.

Fire Storm

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

The image you're presenting holds a striking impact due to its colors and varied luminosity across multiple areas.
    On the other hand, I'm amazed by the simplicity of the setup, ultimately distilled to a fog machine and by the use of translucent plexiglass.
    Shooting tethered is within anyone's reach, but these ideas and creations are truly remarkable.

But where does the light actually come from? It's certainly not from a flash. Does it solely emanate from the plexiglass? How is it illuminated ? I s the colour introduced in post production ?

I must say, the image is fantastic ! I can hardly imagine, or barely can, an exquisitely refined print on Hahnemühle Photo Rag.

Cheers !

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by The amateur View Post
    The image you're presenting holds a striking impact due to its colors and varied luminosity across multiple areas.
    On the other hand, I'm amazed by the simplicity of the setup, ultimately distilled to a fog machine and by the use of translucent plexiglass.
    Shooting tethered is within anyone's reach, but these ideas and creations are truly remarkable.

But where does the light actually come from? It's certainly not from a flash. Does it solely emanate from the plexiglass? How is it illuminated ? I s the colour introduced in post production ?

I must say, the image is fantastic ! I can hardly imagine, or barely can, an exquisitely refined print on Hahnemühle Photo Rag.

Cheers !
    Thanks Antonio - this is the lighting setup; two studio flash with coloured gels behind the translucent Plexiglas (one red and one yellow) are where the lighting comes from. Back-lighting works well for glass.

Fire Storm

While this is from a different setup, but it demonstrates what I do with the fog machine. I really drench the setting with the smoke from the fog machine. Unfortunately, I can't demonstrate the flash from the lights behind the setup. The black baffles were introduced to constrain the smoke. We are into heating season in Canada and the air movement that it causes affects the presence of the smoke. The setup I used in the fall isn't working at this time of year.

Fire Storm

There is a LOT of working in Photoshop (lots and lots dodging and burning). I am planning to print this on Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta paper because of its wide gamut.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 5th December 2023 at 03:15 AM.

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

Manfred, thank you very much for the detailed explanation of the setup required to successfully capture these fantastic images.
    Indeed, all of this isn't within the reach of just any amateur, but rather someone truly dedicated to the profession.

I checked out your Nebulae series, and of course... everything is truly fantastic !
    I wish you a very successful exhibition, deserving of all the success.
    Cheers !
    Last edited by The amateur; 5th December 2023 at 12:37 PM.

Real Name
    Ole

'City on fire' is stunning in my view. I am interested in why you are not 'sold' on the idea. I think these latest images are more powerful than your blue or green images.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

Wow that's some sophisticated setup.

And 6 CAD/piece of that Hahnemuhle paper

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    'City on fire' is stunning in my view. I am interested in why you are not 'sold' on the idea. I think these latest images are more powerful than your blue or green images.
    Cheers Ole
    I think I am sold on the concept, but I did not like the way the image was handled. If you notice my original posting, it was about four weeks ago, so a very early version and in fact was the prototype for this concept.

After staring at it for the last few weeks, I realized that the crop was too tight and I did not like the some of the darker areas, so I spent a lot of time working those areas. I also brought out the yellows a bit more aggressively to give the image more of a red / orange look.

I think I am getting closer to where I think this image needs to be.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticitizen View Post
    Wow that's some sophisticated setup.

And 6 CAD/piece of that Hahnemuhle paper
    The paper is closer to $CAD14 per sheet as I am printing on 17" x 22" (around A2) size. I have to add 13% tax to the base price.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The paper is closer to $CAD14 per sheet as I am printing on 17" x 22" (around A2) size. I have to add 13% tax to the base price.
    Alright so my secret plan to buy an A2 photo printer can go to the garbage bin, for now...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Alright so my secret plan to buy an A2 photo printer can go to the garbage bin, for now...
    That particular Hahnemühle paper is definitely one of the most expensive papers that I use. There are others that are much less expensive that run around 1/4 of that price. The Epson Proofing Paper Semi-Matte white is very inexpensive and the Epson Ultra Premium Photo Luster paper is my "go to" lower end paper for my day-to-day printing needs. These are not archival papers, but most people don't notice the difference.

Real Name
    David

Interesting images Manfred, and thanks for showing the set up.
    Do you have any comments or recommendations for a smoke machine - this would be for arty portrait work in studio.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Chataignier View Post
    Interesting images Manfred, and thanks for showing the set up.
    Do you have any comments or recommendations for a smoke machine - this would be for arty portrait work in studio.
    I bought a very inexpensive machine about 10 years ago. A lot of newer machines come with built in LED lighting, which is something I don't need.

The most important consideration is the smoke fluid; they come in either a water-based or oil-based formulation. Oil based is something I would stay away from as it leaves an oily residue. The others use either glycol or glycerine to make the smoke; here the glycerine is going to be the approach that makes the least irritating smoke, if you are looking at shooting with models.

Also remember, when you use smoke, the light needs to come from behind the subject, otherwise the smoke is too reflective and the model will get overwhelmed.

Real Name
    David

Thanks !

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

That particular Hahnemühle paper is definitely one of the most expensive papers that I use. There are others that are much less expensive that run around 1/4 of that price. The Epson Proofing Paper Semi-Matte white is very inexpensive and the Epson Ultra Premium Photo Luster paper is my "go to" lower end paper for my day-to-day printing needs. These are not archival papers, but most people don't notice the difference.
    I saw a pack of Epson A2 paper for approx. CA $5.50 per sheet here, named 'Crispia'. I guess this is their lower end

There are also 'UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper' and 'Velvet Fine Art Paper' for CA $7.50 per sheet.

It's not like I have a lot of space to hang A2-sized prints so it might be more economical to ask a shop to do it for me From Fujifilm, including framing for approx. CA $190.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I saw a pack of Epson A2 paper for approx. CA $5.50 per sheet here, named 'Crispia'. I guess this is their lower end

There are also 'UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper' and 'Velvet Fine Art Paper' for CA $7.50 per sheet.

It's not like I have a lot of space to hang A2-sized prints so it might be more economical to ask a shop to do it for me From Fujifilm, including framing for approx. CA $190.

Most of the better paper suppliers have a range of paper types and the prices vary greatly. The high end, cotton based papers tend to be more expensive than the alpha cellulose (wood) based ones, although here some of the specialty papers can be quite expensive.

One of my favourite papers comes from Japan, from Awagami Factory. I use the Unryu Thin for some of my work and the grain from the mulberry bark and its thinness can result is some stunning looking prints.

https://awagami.com/collections/inkjet-papers
    Last edited by Manfred M; 8th December 2023 at 04:55 AM.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

Most of the better paper suppliers have a range of paper types and the prices vary greatly. The high end, cotton based papers tend to be more expensive than the alpha cellulose (wood) based ones, although here some of the specialty papers can be quite expensive.

One of my favourite papers comes from Japan, from Awagami Factory. I use the Unryu Thin for some of my work and the grain from the mulberry bark and its thinness can result is some stunning looking prints.

https://awagami.com/collections/inkjet-papers
    Ooohhh nice, once I went on a tour of a washi paper factory, 2-hour drive from my house.

Their papers are probably not museum-grade, but it was fun.