Thread: Viking risking it

Viking risking it

My first upload to this community. I hope to get feedback related to composition, light, colors, etc. Thank you so much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Daniel

Re: Viking risking it

Hi Lars. Glad you were able to get your first image uploaded. I'm no expert; I can only offer my personal experience viewing the photo. When I view it my eyes jump back and forth between the helmet and the couple. They each equally compete for my attention, the couple winning out. Not ideal. I do like the helmet, sky, and colors.

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

Just like Daniel, even though I am not an expert I can give my opinion, that is, my vision on the photograph you sent to the forum.

First, it might have been an advantage to place the image in a way that it could be viewed in larger dimensions for a better observation. You will do it in the near future.

I started by taking a screenshot of the photograph that was posted, then I imported it into LR and gave it some edits in Photoshop. These edits consisted essentially of darkening the background and blurring some of the stronger colours.
    I also added a bit of the image in Photoshop so that it would not have a square format but a rectangular one, which I think is more consistent with the content.

For me, the relationship between what is in the foreground and the action that is taking place with those two people is not completely clear, although I really like the blur of the entire environment, which makes the helmet stand out. I also appreciate the fact that the wood in the foreground that supports the helmet is aligned with the edge of the image.

This photograph definitely has the characteristics of a beautiful one.

Thank you for posting the image for our appreciation. And even though I am not a moderator, you are welcome to this magnificent forum.

Allow me to post here a recreation of your image, hoping that you will not be annoyed by it.
    Viking risking it

Real Name
    David

Interesting image ! Thanks for sharing.

I agree with Daniel's comment and I feel that the original framing emphasises the space between the key elements. Antonio's mod addresses this mainly by adding space on both sides which gives the figures somewhere to go and so makes the space less prominent.

Thank you so much; Daniel, Antonio and David!! I am all smiles. Perfect to get your blunt constructive feedback.

I now find that the objects are competing too much for my attention like you all point out. The mod you did Antonio is a great way of conveying what you want to tell, and I am not at all annoyed by it. The wider format is definitely a better crop. The more I look at the picture, the original or the mod by Antonio, the more I find it difficult to focus on the helmet which I had intended as the main subject. Perhaps having the two fighting vikings more out of focus would have made the picture more successful.

Thank again! I hope to have your feedback on more of my photos.
    /Lars