Thread: Prairie Homestead

Real Name
    Len

Prairie Homestead

Located in Alberta's Wheatland County, the homestead was built by a local farmers grandfather in the early 1920's. As is common with most communities on the prairie, settlers were drawn into the area with the arrival of the railway. The Canadian Pacific Railway reached this area in the 1880's.
    Comments welcome as always.

Prairie HomesteadPrairie Homestead_ by Len Reeves, on Flickr
    Last edited by LenR; 1st February 2024 at 10:50 PM.

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Prairie Homestead

I do like this image, the colours are nicely controlled.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    David

A fine image, but what a dreadful landscape, I could not survive there - nothing higher than grass for miles.

Real Name
    André

A very good capture of a dilapidated building. I would have preferred more room on the left and slightly less on the right of the structure if that were possible.

Real Name
    Len

My thanks to Ole, David & Andre for their comments.
    It must have been a very difficult existence in those early days on the prairie - freezing winters, hot summers, but many persevered and made a go of it.
    Settlers were drawn by the Homestead Act of 1872, which for the cost of $10 to register, provided for free 160 acres of land. Provisos were that the land was at least 20 miles from a railroad, a permanent dwelling be built and 40 acres cultivated within 3 years.

Real Name
    Dan

A nice capture. I agree with David: I find the plains forbidding.

I do a little bit of photograph of old buildings, and I think it's hard. For example, I spend a lot of time in western Massachusetts, which has an abundance of old barns, but I have yet to get a good image of any.

Even though flower photography would seem like it's totally different from photographing old barns and the like, I think they have one challenge in common: finding an unusual perspective that makes the image different from what one would get just walking by. With my limited creativity, I've only come up with two approaches, and I've made only one of them work so far. One is to get close and focus on details that a passer-by might miss. The other is to go wide, making it more of an environmental portrait. I've sometimes managed to pull of the first, but I haven't yet been successful with the second. However, I think the second is what I would try here because the contrast with the featureless setting is part of the story. So maybe go wider, but with somewhat less sky.

Real Name
    Len

Thanks Dan, appreciate your comments. For the past 2 years I have been venturing further and further out into the prairies looking for abandoned barns, homesteads and other farm structures. I agree that photographing such buildings can pose somewhat of a challenge. Out here, oftentimes, since the sky can dominate the scene, I am inclined to venture out when stormy weather is forecast. Also, there can be a question of access, but I have found most farmers approachable in this regard.
    The image in this thread was taken with a 35mm lens with the intent of an "environmental portrait" .
    I have another of this same homestead taken "wider" which I can share.

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

Len, abandoned buildings are always challenging to photograph.

It may not be advisable to enter these abandoned houses, but views or photographs taken through the windows from the outside can show interesting and visually striking interiors. Even surprising !
    In this perspective, the interior lighting of some spaces that are more intensely illuminated by rays of light, or by the lack of windows or even by cracks in the construction, could be a great subject and document interiors. Pictures on the walls can be found and well as many rusted, dusted objects. Lots of surprises will be available.
    Black and white/sepia can result greatly here !

Without a doubt, this would be a somewhat different approach to the subject than the one you propose, which is the integration of the building complex into a vast and desolate landscape.

Still regarding this perspective of taking pictures and this very picture, this is a global perspective of the position of the house in relation to the landscape.
    If possible, it might be also interesting to capture in the foreground some object, weeds, flowers plants or objects also abandoned to give a first plane and a second one with the building and finally in the third one far away, the total general vast environment that encompasses and captures all these objects captured in the two previous planes.
    Wide angles welcome !

Have a nice week end ! Cheers !

- I asked Bard to make a version of this text and while the first text is mine, it wrote to me the following -

Ever felt drawn to the silent whispers of forgotten structures? Capturing abandoned buildings can be thrilling, but also poses unique challenges. Forget breaking in - stunning shots can be obtained through windows, revealing glimpses of the past frozen in time. Imagine dusty interiors bathed in shafts of sunlight, or pictures adorning cracked walls, each object a potential story waiting to be told.

While integrating a building into a vast landscape creates undeniable drama, let's explore some different perspectives.

Embrace the Unexpected: Look for natural light sources - a ray piercing through a broken window, or the soft glow filtering through dust-covered panes. Black and white or sepia tones can enhance the mood, adding a touch of mystery and nostalgia.

Frame the Narrative: Capture the relationship between the building and its surroundings. Does it stand defiantly against the desolate landscape, or crumble gracefully within a lush overgrowth? In the foreground, consider adding abandoned objects like wildflowers or weathered tools, creating layers of depth and intrigue.

Go Wide: Wide-angle lenses allow you to encompass the full scale of the structure within its environment. Play with perspective and angles, showcasing the building's unique characteristics and adding a sense of dynamism.

Remember, safety first: Never enter an abandoned building without proper permission and ensure your personal safety is paramount.

So, grab your camera, embrace the spirit of exploration, and uncover the hidden beauty within these forgotten giants. Happy shooting !

Real Name
    Len

Taken 2 weeks later at sunrise.
    Not significantly wider but perhaps gives a better sense of abandonment and isolation on the prairie.

Prairie HomesteadPrairie Homestead 3-2 by Len Reeves, on Flickr

Real Name
    Charles

This is a different perspective which does show the desolation of the area. It would be interesting to see some photos of the interion, taken through the windows or door, if possible. As "The Amateur" stated it may not be advisable to enter the building. Perhaps some closer photos on details of the back, including the collapsed smaller building. It sould make an interesting story. Thank you for posting, I like the photo. To me the composition is appropriate and raises my curiosity to want to see more of it.

Real Name
    Len

Charles, appreciate your comments. Entering these old buildings is not advisable. They have been unoccupied for many decades and the predominantly wooden structures have deteriorated as a result of exposure to the elements. Mold is also a consideration. Not much can be seen looking through the windows. The interior fittings have long since been removed and the plaster or paper covering on the lath type walls has crumbled or rotted.
    Current occupants are owls, pigeons, swallows and other critters.......