Thread: Calibrating a BenQ Monitor

Real Name
    Bill

Calibrating a BenQ Monitor

I recently decided to make a clean break and buy a dedicated set up for my photography computing (previously shared with personal computing on an iMac).

The computing side was easy - a MacMini with the M2 chip (the latest version at the time of purchase). That left the question of what monitor. After consulting the usual sources I opted for an ASUS with all the bells and whistles ... and hated it. I buy pretty well all my photography-related gear from Wex and they took it back without question, and I searched their web site for the replacement, eventually choosing a BenQ 240 SW, not exactly the latest and greatest in computing but met my needs perfectly.

I have been using it straight out of the box and for long enough to consider running a calibration check given what I was used to with the iMac only to find that my aged ColorMunki is not compatible with the BenQ colour engine.

I have done a stack of printing with it and the prints (about 50/50 colour and mono) still look true to what's on screen, which leaves me with questions for the BenQ users out there - how often if at all do you recalibrate and what device do you use?

Thanks in advance

Bill

Real Name
    André

Re: Calibrating a BenQ Monitor

I have had the same monitor for a few years. If I remember well, it came out of the box pretty well calibrated. At first, I recalibrated it monthly using a Spyder 4 but soon discovered that it is not necessary to do it so frequently. I now do it every six months which results in minor changes to the calibration.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    I have had the same monitor for a few years. If I remember well, it came out of the box pretty well calibrated. At first, I recalibrated it monthly using a Spyder 4 but soon discovered that it is not necessary to do it so frequently. I now do it every six months which results in minor changes to the calibration.
    I don't have a BenQ, but my experience has been the same as Andre's: I don't need to recalibrate often. I read somewhere, I think, that the warnings to recalibrate frequently are a vestige of the old CRT days, but perhaps someone here can say whether that's accurate.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dan is correct. The old CRT displays could go out of calibration within a few weeks, especially if they were new or old. With the modern flat panel displays, this tends to not happen and if you notice significant colour shifts, that is often a sign that the unit is dying.

In the past, I found updating the profile and recalibrating once a year was more than enough. Do things more often now as one of the requirements to judge a national level competition is that the computer screen needs to be recalibrated before judging the competition, so that tends to mean doing so 2 - 3 times per year.

Real Name
    David

I too am a loyal Wex customer. I was delighted when they opened a store in Cambridge as this was particularly handy recently for trying out back packs when I wanted a more comfortable one.

I have a BenQ SW270C which came with its own Pallette Master Element calibration software and I use a Calibrite Colorchecker Display Pro device. I set a reminder in the software to recalibrate every 3 months, but I don't religiously adhere to it.

I believe the screen, software and the Calibrite device have all been superseded and improved upon but that is not surprising as I bought them in Nov 2021.