Thread: Another example of the multiply blend mode

Real Name
    Dan

Another example of the multiply blend mode

I've posted a couple of times about the usefulness of the multiply blend mode, as a substitute for any method of burning, when you have to darken an area with very little detail. The basic procedure is to create a duplicate layer, change it to multiply blend, attach a black mask, and paint with white (100% opacity, very low flow, say 8-10%) with a soft white brush where you want the effect.

I had two layers in the peony I posted earlier this morning that illustrate this. The problem was how to darken and increase detail in the nearly white peony in the foreground.

The first shot is the background layer, as imported from LR. Only LR edits were white balance, pulling down whites, adding a lot of texture, and adding a tiny bit of vibrance.

Here's the addition of the next layer, done as explained above:

I've linked to these in a fairly large size so that you can see more detail in the lightbox.

I did this edit when I was very tired, and in the cold light of morning, I see that I did it poorly. I should have had less of this effect in the darker parts of the flower. Still, I think this is good enough to show you the effect of the technique. It's now become one of my standard techniques.

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Another example of the multiply blend mode

I have used multiply blend mode in conjunction with LAB colour many times if I feel the need to accentuate the colours a bit. I usually do the LAB colours between 5 and 20. Lately I have experimented with quite bold colours. These are done at 70 in the LAB colour space, not as delicate as Dan's flowers but then again the subject matter is different.

Another example of the multiply blend modeDSC01874-Edit-Edit.jpg by Ole Hansen, on Flickr

Another example of the multiply blend modeDSC01878-Edit.jpg by Ole Hansen, on Flickr

Real Name
    Dan

Ole,

Thanks for posting this. It never occurred to me to use the multiply blend mode in this way. I've only used it for two purposes: the one in this thread, and restoring very old photos.

Dan

The Multiply blend mode is indeed great for enhancing details in areas with very little contrast. By duplicating your layer, setting it to Multiply, and masking with a soft brush, you can control the darkening effect precisely. It’s a versatile technique for adding depth and detail, especially when you need to emphasize areas without overwhelming the image. My cousin was struggling with her assignments and decided to try https://canadianwritings.com/ She was very pleased with the service. The writer delivered a high-quality, well-researched paper on time. It made a significant difference in her workload, and she was very happy with the result. The overall experience was very positive, and she would highly recommend this service.
    Last edited by JerryDiaz; 22nd July 2024 at 12:42 PM.

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

Thank you Dan for this useful tip !
    Cheers !