Thread: Testing new camera

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Testing new camera

While it is not a particularly interesting image, I spend some time today starting to learn how to use my new camera in a studio setting working with my old standard glass and smoke images.

Things I was worried about; large file size running on my 9-year old computer, did not end up being too much of a problem, but not 100% trouble free either, as moving a 100+MB file over WiFi takes some time. I'm going to have to transfer the working files to the SSD to speed up the read / write operations.

The other issue that cropped up was in the studio, with my studio flash, I have to shoot in manual mode. When the mirrorless camera lens is stopped down (I shot this image at f/32), the viewfinder was black, given the low level of ambient light. I found a work around, but shooting people won't work that way, so I am going to have to figure out some other workaround.

The Fujifilm menus and work flow are quite different from the Nikon one I am used to. The new camera has a lot more functionality than my D810 (released 10 years ago), so it should be fun learning playing around with those features...

Testing new camera

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Testing new camera

Which Fuji did you get? Given your earlier posts, I assume medium format.

I think this might get more attention in the digital cameras forum or the general photography one.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dan - You are correct.

I bought the Fujifilm GFX100sII (102MP, 43.8 x 32.9mm sensor (.79 crop factor)), that was released earlier this week. I also bought two lenses, the f/4 45-100mm (36-79mm FF equivalent) and the f/5.6 100-200mm lens (79-168mm FF equivalent).

Right now I am still at the stage of learning how to use the equipment and am more interested in what I can do with it, rather than discussing the camera and my move to a crop medium format. I expect I will post comments on the camera / lenses in a few weeks, once I have had a chance to become more comfortable with the equipment.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The other issue that cropped up was in the studio, with my studio flash, I have to shoot in manual mode. When the mirrorless camera lens is stopped down (I shot this image at f/32), the viewfinder was black, given the low level of ambient light. I found a work around, but shooting people won't work that way, so I am going to have to figure out some other workaround.
    Manfred, I'm curious about the work around you used and at what point the viewfinder darkness became an issue.

I won't ever be in the market for the type of camera you've just purchased but imagine that the issue you mentioned could occur with low light level shooting with any mirrorless camera.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Bruce - this only occurs in a studio setting where the ambient light levels are quite low. The studio flash puts out a lot of light and I shoot with a very small aperture to maximize the depth of field as well as at base ISO to maximize image quality.

I found that the default setting when shooting in manual mode results in the viewfinder being very dark and useless. When I turn off this setting, things work just fine.

I'm spending a lot of time reading my manual right now...

Real Name
    Dan

Manfred,

I don't know whether this applies to Fuji cameras, but with my Canon R6 II, this is a matter of "exposure simulation." There are several settings: off, on for exposure only, on for exposure and DOF, and on for exposure only when checking DOF. If exposure simulation is on, I get exactly what you are describing in a dark room if the camera is set on manual to an insufficient exposure, which is of course what you have because the setting is set for the flash. When I turn exposure simulation off, the camera makes the display what one would want, regardless of the exposure settings.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks Dan - It does and Canon and Fuji have different names for what is essentially the same functionality.

Fuji calls it "Preview Exp./WB in Manual Mode". Quite the mouthful... Buried in the "Screen Setting" menu.