Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon's Neural Network Upscaling Tool

Real Name
    Bruce

Canon's Neural Network Upscaling Tool

While looking for something else, I ran across Canon's Neural Network Upscaling Tool. Canon says it works better than the usual upscaling algorithms, presumably including those used in Lightroom and Photoshop. Does anyone have experience using this Canon software?

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Canon's Neural Network Upscaling Tool

Bruce,

I don't see an upscaling filter in the neural filters panel. Are you referring to "super resolution", which I think is also AI based but is part of the regular enhancement dialog? If so, yes, I've used super resolution a number of times. My summary so far would be: sometimes it works. Sometimes not. I've had a few that were worse after using it. You just have to try it on a given image and see.

Dan

Real Name
    Bruce

Hi Dan, this is where I first ran across it: https://global.canon/en/technology/d...ling-2023.html .

The software is also available at Canon's Canada website; but here it says you have to subscribe to a paid plan: https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app...20-for-windows .

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks. I found another site for signing up also, but no indication of the cost.

Real Name
    Bruce

After more hunting on the internet, I've discovered that the fee for a monthly subscription to the neural upscaling app is $2.99 in Canadian dollars, and there's a 31 day free trial: https://sas.image.canon/store/plan?s...XX83WTQ1DY5QFF .

I've learned that it can be used in conjunction with Canon's digital processing app but that it can also be used directly with any JPEG or tiff file. So I'd be able to use it with images processed via LRC or Photoshop: https://app.ssw.imaging-saas.canon/a....html?region=1

Since there's a 31 day free trial, I'll probably give it a go as soon as I have an image that would benefit from it. If nothing else, it will be a new toy to play with.

Real Name
    Dan

If you do, please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Tom

I've used Topaz Gigapixel on occasion. It is AI-based, whatever that means. My sense is that it works about as well as traditional cubic splines, which is to say that it does no harm if you're doubling the image in each direction. After that, it's a matter of deciding which upscaling method is the least foul. So my feeling is that it's not worth the effort after a factor of two and it's not worth agonizing about the choice of tool for the smaller upscaling.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Bruce - have you tried the "AI" upscaling algorithm "SuperResolution" in Lightroom / Camera Raw? (Under the Enhance functionality).

I have found it to be on par with Topaz Gigapixel and I believe the reviews I read just after it was introduced came to the same conclusions.

Real Name
    Dan

That’s my question— whether this new procedure is appreciably better than super resolution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk